OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the Herbie Overflow since I don't have a emergency drain line I just need to add a piece of PVC and it's all good?

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180321_203817.jpg
something like this. The top of the "elbow" should be about an inch or so below the bottom of your overflow teeth. Maybe a bit more.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180321_203817.jpg
something like this. The top of the "elbow" should be about an inch or so below the bottom of your overflow teeth. Maybe a bit more.
You get a Herbie on that drain and get it tuned you'll be reefing like a pro.

Matthew you;re amazing bro,

Do I need the same exact length? What about the water level? Since everything is already close can I cut a piece of pipe that I still have left overs and stick in the drain's bulkhead and tomorrow morning I'll buy the rst of the stuff?

thanks

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water is loud because it has so far to fall... the herbie will quiet it down or even just a standpipe open at the top i put one in a CPR overflow for the same reason

Thanks a lot man. I'll try that. Just wondering how long that pipe should be.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to be best to experiment with the length. That's why you don't glue anything. You should be shooting for the drain to normalize about 2 inches below the bottom of the overflow teeth. If you watch a couple YouTube videos on it the whole idea will make a lot more sense and it is so much easier to do that than for me to try and explain it this way. It if you get into it and you have questions don't hesitate to shoot me a pm or ask on this thread lots of folks on her are treasure troves of solid advice.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthew you;re amazing bro,

Do I need the same exact length? What about the water level? Since everything is already close can I cut a piece of pipe that I still have left overs and stick in the drain's bulkhead and tomorrow morning I'll buy the rst of the stuff?

thanks
You can absolutely stick a piece in that bulkhead until you can get to the parts tomorrow. The water level in the overflow will "normalize" right around the height of that drain.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot man. I'll try that. Just wondering how long that pipe should be.

closer to the teeth will be quieter.... like @Matthew Frost said, somewhere below the teeth.... i put mine a bit higher on the CPR than most people would because i wanted to see how quiet i could get it... the less distance water has to fall the quieter it will be.....

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i didn't glue the pipe in the bulkheads either, the inside pipe doesn't need to be water tight... if you glue it you won't be able to change it without changing the bulkhead

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to be best to experiment with the length. That's why you don't glue anything. You should be shooting for the drain to normalize about 2 inches below the bottom of the overflow teeth. If you watch a couple YouTube videos on it the whole idea will make a lot more sense and it is so much easier to do that than for me to try and explain it this way. It if you get into it and you have questions don't hesitate to shoot me a pm or ask on this thread lots of folks on her are treasure troves of solid advice.
You can absolutely stick a piece in that bulkhead until you can get to the parts tomorrow. The water level in the overflow will "normalize" right around the height of that drain.
closer to the teeth will be quieter.... like @Matthew Frost said, somewhere below the teeth.... i put mine a bit higher on the CPR than most people would because i wanted to see how quiet i could get it... the less distance water has to fall the quieter it will be.....
and i didn't glue the pipe in the bulkheads either, the inside pipe doesn't need to be water tight... if you glue it you won't be able to change it without changing the bulkhead

Thanks for all the support guys. I'll try it tomorrow. Just realize that the freaking bulkhead for the return line is leaking in the gasket. Probably have to tight more but I can't due to space issues and lack of tools.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the support guys. I'll try it tomorrow. Just realize that the freaking bulkhead for the return line is leaking in the gasket. Probably have to tight more but I can't due to space issues and lack of tools.

yea, get that fixed or its gonna be a problem later...

glad to help... if you have any questions PM me or post here and there will be alot of people willing to help

update us on what you come up with to let others that may have the same problem know what worked...

BigMulliATX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single stain in my tank I forget the name of the drain style I used but you put a 1in pvc into a t and then put a cap on the top and drill a while and add air line, and on the side of the t you put a 90 degree angled down you just have to put the middl of the t where you want the water line to be at

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things. The image above is called a Durso standpipe. Make sure it has a little hole drilled in the top or it will continue to siphon, then break when it draws in air like a toilet. I have seen several people refer to a Herbie drain. What you have currently plumbed is not a Herbie. A herbie requires two drains lines. Do not neck down that single drain to create a siphon, or you will almost certainly end up with a flood. You can see how well the standard durso line works, but with a Vectra, that is a lot of flow. If you cannot get it to run quiet, it may be worth taking the time to re-plumb as a Herbie. Also, don't glue together your durso. You may have to tinker with it a little to get it right below the teeth of the overflow. You'll get it all worked out, don't worry. You already made the best first step, getting on Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things. The image above is called a Durso standpipe. Make sure it has a little hole drilled in the top or it will continue to siphon, then break when it draws in air like a toilet. I have seen several people refer to a Herbie drain. What you have currently plumbed is not a Herbie. A herbie requires two drains lines. Do not neck down that single drain to create a siphon, or you will almost certainly end up with a flood. You can see how well the standard durso line works, but with a Vectra, that is a lot of flow. If you cannot get it to run quiet, it may be worth taking the time to re-plumb as a Herbie. Also, don't glue together your durso. You may have to tinker with it a little to get it right below the teeth of the overflow. You'll get it all worked out, don't worry. You already made the best first step, getting on Reef2Reef.

Thanks a lot guys.

It's impressive how people here care about other new reefers. I can't even express how grateful I am for all the answers. So on my case it has to be Durso right? Herbie wont work?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can work, but it would require you redoing one of pipes so they are both drains, then running the return line (off the pump) up the back and over into your tank. I would suggest putting the Durso standpipe on it, fiddle with it and get it tuned as well as you can. If you don't like the amount of noise, spend an afternoon and replumb it. Do you have any livestock in it yet? Are you just leak testing it with tap water?

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good visual. I run mine as the pic, the only difference is that I put a 90° elbow on top of larger pipe to help get the water line match up that I wanted. Nothing is glued. No need for it to be either.
Do not put a valve on the e emergency overflow. As mentioned, it would only be trouble.
Good Luck John
herbie-overflow-diagram-gmacreef-v11-1.jpg

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the second pipe in the overflow being the return line. You would need a durso if you only have one drain. Definitely let us know how it turns out.

Steve Jewell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine durso, now it's herbie...LOVE IT! Worth making both of those drain lines and plumbing return over back!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back