Newbie question on overflows

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I having a siphon issue?

When I inherited my tank, my friends and I researched and built a DIY Franken-sump with DIY overflow (weir) plumbing to avoid drilling the tank. The overflow PVC pipe transitions to a clear hose and then flows down to the first chamber of the sump, which has the HOB skimmer. The end of the overflow hose is submerged below the water line in the first chamber of the sump, with the intent of cutting down on the noise, and it ran fine for circa a year, when I moved the tank long distance. Now that I have the tank running again, it is a struggle to keep the water levels balanced despite the presence of an ATO. I've read many references on the forum to siphons breaking, but admit I assumed that meant the siphon failed and did not restart, vice a slow decline in tank level stability.

That said, is my issue related to the siphon? The water continues to drain down the overflow weir and into the sump, and there is a valve to help regulate the flow of the return pump. Whenever I turn the pump off for a water change, when I turn the pump on again, I have to make multiple minor adjustments to the valve over the next hour or two before I have steady water levels in both the DT and the sump, but I don't need to restart the siphon itself.

Tonight, the ATO alarm sounded, and the water in the DT was almost overflowing. I'm tempted to put the HOB filter back on and give up on the sump altogether, rather than risk coming home to a flood. If this IS a siphon issue, would something like an aqualifter help fix it? If it isn't a siphon issue, could it be a faulty valve, or some other well known issue? I've attempted searches on the forum, but I get the feeling my knowledge base isn't large enough to recognize the answers that might be staring me in the face in other discussion threads. I wanted to move to an AIO during the long distance move, but my move was during the great tank shortage, and I still haven't had much luck at locating a 50 gallon cube to upgrade my current circa 38 gallon tank. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201114_170014.jpg
20200719_130056.jpg

The only difference from the pics and now is that the overflow hose on the right side of the sump is usually tucked behind the skimmer, between the skimmer and the tank glass.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, is that one of those King of DIY overflows?

Not sure what to tell you on this one, as I have no experience using one of those types of overflows. Sorry maybe someone else will come along and chime in.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that what it is called? I will try searching on that to see if it helps me figure out why I am having trouble maintaining stable water levels.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Sounds like an aqua lifter may help per the video. I'm just not sure I understand how the air would be getting past the weir to build up in the pipe and cause the DT water levels to rise. The overflow seems to maintain its siphon -- even with the rare water level hike, the overflow is still flowing water.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back