Newbie Reef Questions

RafaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

First time poster and a newbie to Reef Keeping and saltwater aquariums

I was hoping there would be some more experienced heads on this forum who could help me with some of my beginner questions.

I am planning on getting the Fluval Flex Marine 123L Aquarium, as it fit's perfectly into the area I have available and seems to come with everything that you'd need to get started bar a heater and a skimmer.

So first question... Does a tank like this produce enough flow for beginner corals (some recommendations would be appreciated!) and is running a skimmer worth it on a tank this size if I am doing weekly 10% water changes

Secondly, At present i was planning to get a normal clownfish ocellaris and a black and white clownfish ocellaris and a Royal Gramma. Guess first question would be as far as I can see online all these fish would get on just fine if introduced as juveniles, but wanted some opinions on whether or not this is a good combination. I was also hoping I could perhaps have a one or two more fish and some invertebrates in with them and would be really grateful for some suggestions that would be beginner friendly and get on well in the aquarium together!

Finally, the last question I have is what are the monthly running costs for a tank that size. Especially at the moment with what's happening with energy prices, if anyone with a similar sized tank knows what it's costing them as an example that would be great!

Thanks

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, the last question I have is what are the monthly running costs for a tank that size. Especially at the moment with what's happening with energy prices, if anyone with a similar sized tank knows what it's costing them as an example that would be great!

Thanks
Plan on an initial budget of five hundred pounds for livestock, aquasacpe, salt, medications, and tank, and a monthly maintenance, food, and increased energy costs of one hundred pounds. You can cut that in half if you buy everything used, which should be possible.

Another option is to go with the Fluval Evo 13.5, which is a great tank in which you can certainly grow coral. You'll have to cut down on the livestock list, though. The bonus of this tank is its closed canopy and small volume, as the lights trap heat and it's often possible to run the tank without a heater at ambient room temperature. I do this with my two tanks, and I live in northern Canada.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back