Newbie reef tank questi

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post so bear with me and I will do my best to include as much information as I can.

I’m new to saltwater but not new to aquariums we’ve got 9 tanks total in our house including 2 saltwater tanks.
The tank in question is a 90 display tank with a 30 gallon sump with a refugium which I haven’t added any algae to just yet. For equipment I’m running a simplicity 240dc skimmer. Dual 1050gph Current usa eflux wave pumps. Current usa 1900gph eflux return pump which is running at %70. Light is dual 48” current usa ic loop pros. Dual finnex 200hms heaters. I also have a hydor Ato.

The tank has been running for a little over 3 months now and currently has a single mocha storm clown and 5 Mexican turbo snails. turbos and clown have been in the tank a little over a month now and everyone seems happy.
That being said There is a zoanthid colony about 4x3” at my LFS that I have fallen in love with but don’t want to add corals to soon and cause problems. So would be is it safe to add them or should I put my patience pants on and hold off.

also when should I add algae to the refugium and what kind?

I make my own water with rodi and Red Sea coral pro

these are my current tank parameters

SG 1.025 @77.5 degrees
Amonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
PH 8.2
KH 8
CA 410ppm
MG 1310ppm
Thank you everyone in advance for answering questions that you have probably all been asked a million times before

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

6C544A3F-73F3-47EE-B7D4-7F1E6ABDEDB9.gif

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add algae when you have nitrates and phosphates for it to live on. Too soon right now.
With one clown and 5 snails it will be a very long time.

Corals wont cause problems but depending where you are in your ugly phase they may not survive. Is your tank growing goo all over inside right now or has that stopped? Started and still growing or does it still look like bare moonrocks??

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing wise to add coral shouldn't be an issue. You will just need to pay attention to coral types/demand and placement. I ran the ic pros on my 75 which is shallow than your 90. Once I had to crank up the whites for more power I didn't like the look so ended up supplementing with reef Brite and orphek. Lights did well with LPS and easier sps

OP
OP
ATC

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add algae when you have nitrates and phosphates for it to live on. Too soon right now.
With one clown and 5 snails it will be a very long time.

Corals wont cause problems but depending where you are in your ugly phase they may not survive. Is your tank growing goo all over inside right now or has that stopped? Started and still growing or does it still look like bare moonrocks??
Never got a goo phase but the whole tank turned brown once I turned the lights on. If it makes a difference I didn’t turn the lights on until I added the clown which was about 6 weeks after I started cycling the tank basically when it was able to remove added ammonia overnight I added the clown. Then the brown happened and we added the turbo snails and they scrubbed the brown out in about 3 days since then The algae growth has been minimal since the snails and whatever does grow is usually gone before I wake up in the morning. it currently has super bright green almost lime green algae or at least I’m guessing it’s algae. And it’s only growing on the rocks were they get most light. I did a water change today and whatever the green is it wouldn’t scrape off it almost feels like the coralline algea that’s on the live rock I got from my LFS. I’ve attached a picture of the algae in question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 37

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting is always best. But I have no patience.
I had several fish, RFA and a few coral after 20 days.
IMG_0273%5B1%5D-S.jpg
IMG_6813-M.jpg

Sooner or later the goo will hit. In my case it was 30 days in. My stuff lived through it.
IMG_0287-L.jpg

So unless it is really expensive I would get the zoa. No guts no glory. Keep it clean if the goo hits. You have to start somewhere.
When the goo hits turn up your flow.
Your lights are kind of weak. Not terrible but each one is 92 watts. The ones above are 165watts each over a 56 gallon tank. Keep that in mind. You may need to move stuff up some.

OP
OP
ATC

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing wise to add coral shouldn't be an issue. You will just need to pay attention to coral types/demand and placement. I ran the ic pros on my 75 which is shallow than your 90. Once I had to crank up the whites for more power I didn't like the look so ended up supplementing with reef Brite and orphek. Lights did well with LPS and easier sps
Hopefully I’m ok with lights since I’m planning on mostly soft corals and and some LPS. If I end up needing to supliment I guess it’s just an excuse for more gear.

jc75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never got a goo phase but the whole tank turned brown once I turned the lights on. If it makes a difference I didn’t turn the lights on until I added the clown which was about 6 weeks after I started cycling the tank basically when it was able to remove added ammonia overnight I added the clown. Then the brown happened and we added the turbo snails and they scrubbed the brown out in about 3 days since then The algae growth has been minimal since the snails and whatever does grow is usually gone before I wake up in the morning. it currently has super bright green almost lime green algae or at least I’m guessing it’s algae. And it’s only growing on the rocks were they get most light. I did a water change today and whatever the green is it wouldn’t scrape off it almost feels like the coralline algea that’s on the live rock I got from my LFS. I’ve attached a picture of the algae in question.
What did the lime green on the rocks turn out to be? I just started seeing it in my new (6 months) tank. Thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back