Newbie reefer NO3 and PO4 question

jamiemc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for some advice.. Ive been runing a mixed reef RS Nano tank for just over a year now and a couple of months ago I changed out the skimmer to a ICE CAP K1 and i added a TMC Reef 50 nano bio pellet reactor using DD Nutri-Fix NP bio pellets.

The tank looks fine fish and coral look good, plus recently i dont seem to get that annoying algea growing on the glass, but ive noticed NO3 and PO4 is realy low due to the recator doing its job !

I know the test kits only test for inorganics but should i worry about low NO3 and PO4...

The talk Parameters are:

Salinity: 1.025
Cal: 450
Alk: 8.4
Mag: 1200
PO4: 0.02 > 0.03
NO3: 0.75 > 1

Cheers
Jamie

Last edited:

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me your PO4 looks okay. I like my nitrates to be between 2-5ppm, but if the corals look good I'm not chasing tiny differences like a couple of ppm of NO3. If your corals look good I'd leave it alone, adding stuff and chasing numbers usually leads to more problems.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep doing what you are doing. Many people run their tanks at those levels with no problems. Since your tank has been running for a year and everything looks good, don't go chasing numbers.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely with StlSalt with where I like to keep my parameters, but ultimately if they aren't 0 then being low shouldn't be an issue. If I were you I wouldn't worry about those levels.

OP
OP
J

jamiemc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, i read bad and good stuff on the net about low nitrates and phosphates...I will keep doing what Im doing .

Cheers

All the best ..Stay safe

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back