newbie reefer QT tank, ich?

sleepy.sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! I'm 2 months into this reefing journey & I finally got my clowns yesterday morning through ocean gardens, I drip acclimated made sure parameters were good & they have an air stone in the QT, today I noticed a little white spot on the black ocellaris' left side, is this ich? here is a video i tried to take of him (so hard to take video of a moving fishy) I have general cure right now, & ich x is still on its way (even though I ordered it 2 weeks ago) what should I do from here on? any & all help is greatly appreciated from this noobie! :')

OP
OP
sleepy.sunny

sleepy.sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 30sec+ you can see it a bit clearer near his lil dorsal fin
41Hod1a.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
at 30sec+ you can see it a bit clearer near his lil dorsal fin
41Hod1a.png
From what I can see, not ich and especially confined to one dot. May be a grain of sand or Lympho which is viral But Do keep an eye on it and assure its still one dot tomorrow, If gone, would be sand.
Maintain good water quality and diet to alleviate lymphocystis

OP
OP
sleepy.sunny

sleepy.sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, not ich and especially confined to one dot. May be a grain of sand or Lympho which is viral But Do keep an eye on it and assure its still one dot tomorrow, If gone, would be sand.
Maintain good water quality and diet to alleviate lymphocystis
okay! I'll keep an eye out, just noticed about 5 min ago that he was flashing a bit as well, not sure if its because he's upset i took out leftover food from the bare bottom. other little lady looks okay, so hopefully it'll go away, thank you so much!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
okay! I'll keep an eye out, just noticed about 5 min ago that he was flashing a bit as well, not sure if its because he's upset i took out leftover food from the bare bottom. other little lady looks okay, so hopefully it'll go away, thank you so much!!
Flashing is a sign of flukes but dont yet assume it is that. Some signs you'll notice if flukes develop are: gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation , develop cloudy eyes and loss of color .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! I'm 2 months into this reefing journey & I finally got my clowns yesterday morning through ocean gardens, I drip acclimated made sure parameters were good & they have an air stone in the QT, today I noticed a little white spot on the black ocellaris' left side, is this ich? here is a video i tried to take of him (so hard to take video of a moving fishy) I have general cure right now, & ich x is still on its way (even though I ordered it 2 weeks ago) what should I do from here on? any & all help is greatly appreciated from this noobie! :')
The general cure will help if this is flukes. I would skip the Ich-x. Although it says for use with Marne fish, it is a freshwater medication that doesn’t have a good track record with marine fish. I would go with Coppersafe.
Jay

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we all sure the fish is actually sick? Like I cant see a visible anything to ID so maybe give it a day or two? Pump the breaks with chems and just feed and observe. Its a clown fish for crying out loud!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we all sure the fish is actually sick? Like I cant see a visible anything to ID so maybe give it a day or two? Pump the breaks with chems and just feed and observe. Its a clown fish for crying out loud!
The OP is running the fish through a preventative quarantine protocol, so the treatments are done before the fish gets sick.

Jay

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is running the fish through a preventative quarantine protocol, so the treatments are done before the fish gets sick.

Jay
I understand that guy. I guess you didn't understand me. Maybe someone should ask.... how long your tank been set, whats your #s, did you buy a dirty fish from a dirty store?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that guy. I guess you didn't understand me. Maybe someone should ask.... how long your tank been set, whats your #s, did you buy a dirty fish from a dirty store?
We do have a post that outlines how to post and respond to fish disease issues:

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back