OP
DowntownJosh

DowntownJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a hard one to answer, if you aren’t qting well 77days between to ensure it’s safe but other side is if not qting then your rolling the dice anyway so does it matter? It’s weird me writing this but I added a royal gramma to my tank from LFS and it wiped out my entire tank and then I had to wait 77 days before cud add fish, that was heartbreaking. But u can buy qt or captive breed fish you can also do a the quick qt safety stop or something it’s basically back to back baths meth blue and formalin. But wud just hate for u to add a fish and next week add another and the first one shows signs. If don’t have holding tank. But u want to be adding weekly well I’d split it with some cuc. Least 2 weeks would be more likely to show signs. I wud just make sure before u add anything to tank that they and u r happy before adding again. Tank will do a mini cycle with every addition.
So if fish happy eating and good form. Tanks good shape nutrients maintaining that’s ur next addition. May that be 2 weeks or 4 weeks etc. That’s my TLDR summary lol.
awesome thanks for the info!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DowntownJosh you will have an ammonia spike after adding each fish. From feeding more and more waste. I try to wait at least a month in between additions. You will also have territorial aggression after adding each fish as they try to find their own territory and pecking order.

OP
OP
DowntownJosh

DowntownJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DowntownJosh you will have an ammonia spike after adding each fish. From feeding more and more waste. I try to wait at least a month in between additions. You will also have territorial aggression after adding each fish as they try to find their own territory and pecking order.
So you would keep it with just the 2 clowns, and no coral or CUC, for another month or so?

OP
OP
DowntownJosh

DowntownJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DowntownJosh personally that’s what I would do, but to do it safely, checking ammonia along the way would be proper.
Ok yeah I plan to keep checking the levels every day or every other day.

Here's a couple more questions.

So the 2 new clowns, will just sit in the same spot, kind of middle front corner about half way up, just swimming in place, if the lights are turned off above the tank, during the day. If I turn the lights on, they swim all around the tank, and don't stick to the spot. I was keeping the LED lights off, till I added more stuff to prevent algae growth, but don't want to hurt the fish? What should I do?

Also the food WWC (where I bought the clowns) recommended was TDO Chroma Boost (1.7mm pellets) but I'm not sure they like the food, because they lunge for it when I drop a few pellets in, but I see them spit it back out most of the time. I ordered some PE Mysis flakes to see if that will work better, but didn't know if they are just stubborn at first, and should keep trying to throw a few pellets in, or to just save that until I get other fish, and try my luck with the flakes.

Thanks again!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the 2 new clowns, will just sit in the same spot, kind of middle front corner about half way up, just swimming in place, if the lights are turned off above the tank, during the day. If I turn the lights on, they swim all around the tank, and don't stick to the spot. I was keeping the LED lights off, till I added more stuff to prevent algae growth, but don't want to hurt the fish? What should I do?

Also the food WWC (where I bought the clowns) recommended was TDO Chroma Boost (1.7mm pellets) but I'm not sure they like the food, because they lunge for it when I drop a few pellets in, but I see them spit it back out most of the time. I ordered some PE Mysis flakes to see if that will work better, but didn't know if they are just stubborn at first, and should keep trying to throw a few pellets in, or to just save that until I get other fish, and try my luck with the flakes.

Thanks again!
@DowntownJosh sounds like clowns are okay. Will eat about 3 or 4 of those pellets is all.

OP
OP
DowntownJosh

DowntownJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 week update!

So things are going well. I've added several pieces of cheap coral (LPS and softies) and just added a Coral Beauty last night.

Everything is doing fantastic. The Zoa/Palys I added a couple weeks ago are already sprouting new polyps!

I'm trying to decide what to add next, I'm leaning towards some Hammers, maybe dip my toes in to some cheap SPS to get them started up top, or perhaps a BTA to get the clowns from just sitting in the back corner of the tank and and help them feel more secure.

PS I really need to figure out how to take better pictures.. haha

20210415_175211.jpg 20210415_175224.jpg 20210415_175135.jpg 20210415_175848.jpg 20210415_175218.jpg 20210415_175511.jpg 20210415_181237.jpg

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks again!

That size is to big for your clowns, try cutting them in half or just putting them in your fridge to use later, when the clowns are adults they should be able to eat them. TDO is definitely one of the best dry foods though, it will really give your fish strong colors.

Also if you haven't I can't suggest strongly enough setting up a quarantine tank. A healthy looking fish can be a carrier for velvet and can wipe out your fish in days or less, and then you have to wait 2 months to add new fish.

But super nice build man :) Love the aquascape.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back