Newbie screw-up with QT, Clownfish and GSP

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I did this. I set up my QT and bought 2 clownfish, doing everything right. I was offered a free GSP and beautiful live rock about softball size and couldn't resist. The GSP and rock were from a mature 10-year old tank, which was in "perfect" condition. Unfortunately I placed both the Clownfish and GSP in my QT. All was well for one full week, fish very lively and eating well. GSP very happy. Today I notice a white speck on one of the Clownfish, dang! Fish are still very lively, swimming normal and eating well. I know, I know I should have never put the GSP/rock in the QT, but too late to look back now. So what do I do? Should I treat for ICK? WIth what? Will it kill the GSP? I'm less concerned about the GSP because it was free. I'm guessing that the GSP/rock probably has hitchhiker's - what should I do with it? Is there anything I can do to "treat" and save both (Clownfish and GSP)? Or should I just watch closely for the next couple of days, maybe I am jumping to conclusions too soon that it is Ick?

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to confirm ick without pic. Is there ick in the GSP tank?
If it’s ick and you want both clownfish and GSP to make it, you need a second tank. One with the GSP to go fish less fallow, and one clownfish treatment tank. Likely using copper.
However. Any chance to confirm the diagnosis first?

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic - larger female with white dot above the right pectoral fin. I didn't see that last week. Think it is Ick? How does one know, or what to watch for?

Attachments

• ick2.jpg
    ick2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 80
  • ick1.jpg
    ick1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 76

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eyes are old. I would not be able to make a firm diagnosis on this one. However mechanical injury or brooklynella would be higher on my list.
Anyone with young eyes and Retina display please?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats too large to be ich im not really sure what it is just keep an eye on it ich will drop off then come back then drop and come back in a cycle

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope all is stable.
Fishkeeping certainly has changed since I have entered the hobby. Diseases are much more common. One thought was 30% of fish. But that is unclear as a number. Often times the supply chain runs ineffective doses of copper that does nothing than hide ick and velvet. Any time we add anything life to our little biotope we run a significant risk of a tank loss. If starting into the hobby, one can roll the dice. A saltwater box. Rock and bacteria. Then some nail and softies. If you are still ok at 2-3 months, roll the dice for tank raised fish.
Later in the hobby a QT tank is a must. Sadly lots of fish are lost there and treated with medications. And yes ... everything must go through quarantine. 2 years or so ago, I was at the private tank of a LFS admiring a 5000 $ fish. Everyone healthy, no new additions, could not resist to ask for a frag. Small bag of water. SPS only transfer in my display. Velvet near wipeout. Oh yes, the frag did not make it either.
Common infectious problems are ick-Sand corn like raised dots mostly on fins. Not immediately deadly. They will fall of the fish just to return worse.
Velvet-super deadly dust like. Brooklynella-scaling leasion- high mortality. If you are new to the hobby, you do not stand a chance against velvet and brooklynella. Flukes are IMHO next on the list. I hope in your little fish we are talking about a local injury. That would be a watch and wait, potential hospital tank to treat secondary bacterial wound infection. Let us know how you are coming along. Best of luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back