Newbie Tank Size

csasser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well. I have debated on this journey for a long time and am getting close to pulling the trigger. This will be a hobby for me and my 8 year old to mess with together. There is no experience at all in my background, or my 8 year old. I have read all I can on tank size, and am considering the red sea reefer 350 (75 gallons) or 425xl (88 Gallons). Please give me all your thoughts and opinions. I have 48" (L) space for the tank. I certainly dont want to bite off more than I can chew, but do want enough space where I can house some pretty cool fish. Bristletooth tang being the biggest. Also, is the upgrade to a 425xl worth the extra money rather than just going with a 350. Not sold on these aquariums but know they will maintain there integrity for the long haul from reviews.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

First, let me share my personal experience, but shortened for the sake of this thread. I started with a 55 gallon, and fell in love with the hobby. Wanted to add some cooler larger fish, but did not want to subject them to less then desirable tank size conditions, so I upgraded. Following is my upgrade timeline and projection:

1. Started 55 gal display tank (DT)
  2. Upgraded to 120 gal DT
  3. My best guess, 6+ months later added 110 gal sump/refugium
  4. Months later, added and plumbed in an additional 30+ gal DT
  5. Future plan to upgrade to 500+ gal DT with as large as possible sump/refugium
If there is anything I can recommend based on my experience with wanting larger tanks, it would be the following:

• Try and predict whether the desire to go larger exists, then try and get the largest tank for what fits in the allotted real-estate upfront to save yourself some hassles. Note: I was not sure when I started if I would stay in the hobby, so I imagine it would be difficult for anyone with no experience in the hobby, to know in advance if they will really "enjoy" this hobby.
Few other recommendations would be to take it slow once a tank is set up. Always research and try not to act on all impulses. It's gets disheartening when purchasing a fish or coral and it perishes in your care, so take one's time and garner some experience. Best of luck and try and have fun. :D

So much for keeping the response short and sweet...lol.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you are on right track with these sizes mentioned. I ran a 75 at start 25 + years ago, and now at a 90, but oh boy I always want bigger lol. These sizes leave space for margin of error in my experience, we always try to follow directions on whatever dose or water change etc is recommended, if you follow directions closely these sizes will give you a bit of forgiveness. There is also argument for the Nano tank to start, and that's a valid option as well imo. Smaller system, less room for error , cheaper on startup. Then you could grow once perfected. Long/ short it's really up to you , but you have the space to have what you want now. So go with either the 75 or 88, imo and prepare for growing pains establishing your system. Also start a build thread, to tell us about it from start. 8 year olds have wide eyes and it will be a great learn experience for both of you. R2R is here to help. Best to you in your decision and future reef!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

First, let me share my personal experience, but shortened for the sake of this thread. I started with a 55 gallon, and fell in love with the hobby. Wanted to add some cooler larger fish, but did not want to subject them to less then desirable tank size conditions, so I upgraded. Following is my upgrade timeline and projection:

1. Started 55 gal display tank (DT)
  2. Upgraded to 120 gal DT
  3. My best guess, 6+ months later added 110 gal sump/refugium
  4. Months later, added and plumbed in an additional 30+ gal DT
  5. Future plan to upgrade to 500+ gal DT with as large as possible sump/refugium
If there is anything I can recommend based on my experience with wanting larger tanks, it would be the following:

• Try and predict whether the desire to go larger exists, then try and get the largest tank for what fits in the allotted real-estate upfront to save yourself some hassles. Note: I was not sure when I started if I would stay in the hobby, so I imagine it would be difficult for anyone with no experience in the hobby, to know in advance if they will really "enjoy" this hobby.
Few other recommendations would be to take it slow once a tank is set up. Always research and try not to act on all impulses. It's gets disheartening when purchasing a fish or coral and it perishes in your care, so take one's time and garner some experience. Best of luck and try and have fun. :D

So much for keeping the response short and sweet...lol.
Sage advice. :)

OP
OP
C

csasser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for such a quick reply. I am excited to get going. I do not think I would go any bigger... hahaha im sure thats never been said before. but for right now that is the space I have. I was thinking this would be a long term tank. I am pretty sure I am going to love the Hobby! My wife probably wont though lol. Is there any advantage to having the 88 gallon 350 over the 75 gallon. they are pretty close dimensions it seems like. I like the long posts. the more informative the better. thanks for sharing

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for such a quick reply. I am excited to get going. I do not think I would go any bigger... hahaha im sure thats never been said before. but for right now that is the space I have. I was thinking this would be a long term tank. I am pretty sure I am going to love the Hobby! My wife probably wont though lol. Is there any advantage to having the 88 gallon 350 over the 75 gallon. they are pretty close dimensions it seems like. I like the long posts. the more informative the better. thanks for sharing
Our wives are alike, although she will admit she loves to see life flitting about the reef after my ( our ) expenditures over the years while relaxing on the couch lol. As far as the tanks, these are really good makes imo, so thats a great start. I'm going to assume the 88 is slightly deeper than the 75 , I noticed that difference once I switched off. If you dont mind going up to your armpits vs elbows when cleaning, then go with the 88, it allows that extra volume and flexibility. It will definitely fill the room on a better scale too imo. It will also give you slightly more flex in terms of largest fish size.
Andalusia? Oh my.... on my next to visit radar. So badly want to experience Seville and area in the fall or spring when temps are nice and mild. We toured around Salamanca area last time in Spain, and we loved that area quite a bit. Was in April a few years ago.
PM me and I can show you a few pics of whats been happening over 25 years. Its not the best reef in the world, but its mine and it works.

Last edited:

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome hobby to introduce to your 8yr old. I started our tank with my son when he was 7 albeit with a 20G for him to get his bearings...but glad to hear you are thinking a larger tank which is what I prefer IMO. But my son has been on top of his weekly maintenance/testing and QTg and fragging....pretty cool....

Impala1.jpg

OP
OP
C

csasser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome hobby to introduce to your 8yr old. I started our tank with my son when he was 7 albeit with a 20G for him to get his bearings...but glad to hear you are thinking a larger tank which is what I prefer IMO. But my son has been on top of his weekly maintenance/testing and QTg and fragging....pretty cool....

Impala1.jpg
Yes we are both really excited! my pocket book is not though lol

OP
OP
C

csasser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our wives are alike, although she will admit she loves to see life flitting about the reef after my ( our ) expenditures over the years while relaxing on the couch lol. As far as the tanks, these are really good makes imo, so thats a great start. I'm going to assume the 88 is slightly deeper than the 75 , I noticed that difference once I switched off. If you dont mind going up to your armpits vs elbows when cleaning, then go with the 88, it allows that extra volume and flexibility. It will definitely fill the room on a better scale too imo. It will also give you slightly more flex in terms of largest fish size.
Andalusia? Oh my.... on my next to visit radar. So badly want to experience Seville and area in the fall or spring when temps are nice and mild. We toured around Salamanca area last time in Spain, and we loved that area quite a bit. Was in April a few years ago.
PM me and I can show you a few pics of whats been happening over 25 years. Its not the best reef in the world, but its mine and it works.
Thanks for the input! Your gonna be let down though because it is not Andalusia in Spain, LOL, it is a small town in South Alabama. I have never been over seas to Europe but would love to go one day. I would PM you to see your tank but not sure how. Still learning how to use the forum

THN4AU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Your gonna be let down though because it is not Andalusia in Spain, LOL, it is a small town in South Alabama. I have never been over seas to Europe but would love to go one day. I would PM you to see your tank but not sure how. Still learning how to use the forum
Hahaha! I assumed Alabama since I’m in Hoover, but then I saw Spain and was like oh nevermind! Not too far!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah hahahaha! Well darn...I've actually been over in your neck of the woods about 5 years ago while not Spain it was nice! Stayed in Mobile for a night, and a week over in Biloxi and Bay St Louis Mississippi. Loved it.

To utilize the PM feature just hit the mail symbol at top of screen and punch in whichever user you want to contact. No rush, you'll figure it out eventually...
Keep us all updated with a pic of the tank when it arrives.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back