Newbie to Hobby, excited to be here!

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months ago I got an impulsive urge to start a Saltwater tank and have never owned a tank (not even a goldfish) I want to start with FOLR to start but eventually I would like to also add some coral, baby steps.

When I say impulse... it is a trigger to then research as much as I can to understand as many aspects possible before I jump in with both feet. Spent a couple of months researching and reviewing as much as I could in a short period of time. Wanted to understand costs, time, process, etc. etc.. etc..

Once I felt comfortable that I am in for the long haul and completely aware of the costs, time and commitment associated to this hobby, pulled the trigger on boxing day and have spent the last 5 days setting everything up. Not to mention the dent in my wallet (expected) any many trips to different aquarium stores.

This forum has been instrumental in providing a wealth of information and wanted to say thank you to all of the members out there that have provided so much detail and personal experience, has made this process less daunting to say the least.

I'm
tank.jpg
going to QT anything wet going to into the DT and have also setup a QT tank. You members weren't joking when you said "patience is key" willing to wait and do this properly to minimize chances of failure.

Here is my current setup

Display Tank: Currently on day 7 of cycle, fishless cycle

• Coralife BioCube 32 (2nd gen with Media tray vs Bio Balls)
  • Cobalt Neo-Therm 150w Heater
  • Hydor Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump Nano 425
  • CoraLife BioCube Protein Skimmer (fits nicely in chamber 1)
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
  • Eshopps Top off Reservoir (5g)
  • Coralife Digital Temp Probe (in tank)
  • Ammonia Alert (in tank)
  • 25 lbs live sand
  • 25 lbs life rock
  • Media tray (stock filter on top, 2nd tray Fluval BioMax, 3rd tray Purigen)

Ph 8.4, Salinity 1.026 on Refractometer, Ammonia just starting to rise from cycle Nitrite creeping up and Nitrate still 0.

Quarantine Tank: Currently on day 2 of cycle, fishless cycle

• 10 gallon - no substrate or rock
  • Fluval U2 submersible filter with Biomax and carbon inserts removed
  • Cobalt Neo-Therm 50W Heater
  • Air Bubbler, one of those long bar things forget name or brand with air pump (+check valve)
  • Strip temperature gauge (on glass)
  • Ammonia Alert (in tank)
  • Couple of PVC elbows

Same PH and Salinity as DT so far, just started tank up yesterday

Anyway, thanks to all the members of this site and look forward to contributing at some point.

Jeff

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for joining. You're off to a good start by doing your research!

OP
OP
Jeff_Toronto

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light are you planning on using?

Right now just the stock LED lights that came with the Biocube, I've read on many posts they are good for fish and a select number of corals, when I get to adding coral my current plan is to upgrade to the Turbo Lights from Steve's LEDs.

http://www.stevesleds.com/

OP
OP
Jeff_Toronto

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for joining. You're off to a good start by doing your research!
Why thank you... As an out of the gate newbie that, like probably 90% of population, those fish and coral look pretty, I want one... oh wait what... you have to do what and it costs what?!

There is so much information out there on how to get started and this forum has been amazing for learning. Officially joined today but have been on the site constantly for a couple of months. Personally, I didn't want to be the one to ask a question that has been asked and answered 1,000 times on here when I could just search and find the answer, between this site, google and youtube (no offence to anyone) much you can learn and I am just getting started in what has so far been a great experience. I expect to have many issues and trial and error and that is the fun part.

However, looking at these empty aquariums for the next 4 to 6 weeks (or longer) is something I knew was required but underestimated the mental impact. I think I check this empty tank 100 times a day and test them twice just so I feel involved in the process.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Great start, you’re doing it right the first time! :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back