Newbie with dead damsel - need advice

Nabs17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m a newbie to this forum and to saltwater aquariums. I’m currently running a recently cycled Waterbox Frag 105.4. All my parameters are very good and I recently added some fish, one of which was a sapphire damsel fish which was added this past Sunday. Earlier today I notice some sore/abrasion on it’s face and it was hiding underneath some of the rock and just about a hour ago I went looking for it because it hadn’t been out since around 2ish this afternoon. Well It was dead and I got him out of the aquarium and need some assistance trying to determine what this looks like. Doing some investigating on this site, it looks like it’s one of two things:

1) Bacterial infection
2) Uronema

Let m know what you all think and I’ll answer the question I’m sure will be asked, I don’t have a QT this guys was in my DT. I didn’t QT because I (mistakenly) decided that since my lfs told me they treat all their fish, I didn’t have to. Live and learn and I won’t add another fish to my DT until I set up a QT and run all fish through there. See the attached picture.

C3E2A5AB-C9FD-4A01-8C7E-9026DA87A1E2.jpeg

GrandmaRaff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a fish is gonna die it usually happens in the first several days after purchase. After that they are usually OK until you have a tank crash or old age. This is because many of these fish are caught with cyanide or dynamite. The cyanide eventually kills the liver of the fish over several weeks so by the time you get it, its about ready to die. Dynamite usually just injures the fish internally but isn't as fatal as cyanide. I had thought that this practice was outlawed years ago but i just read an article that said it is still happening. Google this title for more info.
The Horrific Way Fish Are Caught for Your Aquarium—With Cyanide

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? How did you acclimatise? The more information you give the more people can offer guidance - otherwise it’s more an ‘opinion’. I always ask how long fish have been in the shop and if fairly new I buy but delay collection - my LFS is happy to reserve.

OP
OP
Nabs17

Nabs17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? How did you acclimatise? The more information you give the more people can offer guidance - otherwise it’s more an ‘opinion’. I always ask how long fish have been in the shop and if fairly new I buy but delay collection - my LFS is happy to reserve.
Sorry for the delay, here are my parameters as of this moment....but they have been pretty close to these for a few weeks.

NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 5
PH - 8.0
PO4 - 0
Those are the tests I have. The remaining fish all seem to be fine, eating well, swimming well, no noticeable marks or anything. I’ve been doing my weekly 10% water changes. I feed once per day and try not to over feed.

thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Nabs17

Nabs17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, here are my parameters as of this moment....but they have been pretty close to these for a few weeks.

NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 5
PH - 8.0
PO4 - 0
Those are the tests I have. The remaining fish all seem to be fine, eating well, swimming well, no noticeable marks or anything. I’ve been doing my weekly 10% water changes. I feed once per day and try not to over feed.

thanks for your input.

almost forgot...salinity is 1.024.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back