newbie with some sump plumbing questions.

pureconcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have purchased an eshopps pf-1200 hob overflow,fiji 40g breeder baffle kit, and a jebao 80w dcq10000. i read the sump sticky but im still confused about a few things and was hoping to get some advice. i gather i should use pvc from the overflow but im confused about how to secure it. do i just use straps to the wall? also it says to use flexible hose for the return and i read somewhere that i should use trhe largest size the return pump offers. the pump has a 38 mm barb connector. i was wondering can i use 1.5 inch hose? how do i make the hose stay bent to overhand the tank in a plumbling loop, and am i supposed to look for a return jet (i cant find one that large). ki feel bad asking such beginner questions but i am nervous about this undertaking.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell hang on returns with a barb fitting.

The pvc if rigid wont need too much securing if its glued into the diy sump bulkhead as well as the overflow bulkhead.

Soft flex hose can be used on barbs with a plastic clamp.

OP
OP
P

pureconcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. i was hoping to just bend the soft tubing from the return pump into a u but its turning out to be hard to do. i guess ill have to get a barbed connector and just use pvc over the top of my tank

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an eshopps flexible hose with 1" connections and made my own 3/4" U to to over my tank rim and into the display.
But they do sell these for an easy alternative.

OP
OP
P

pureconcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an eshopps flexible hose with 1" connections and made my own 3/4" U to to over my tank rim and into the display.
But they do sell these for an easy alternative.
https://www.marinedepot.com/u-tube-...3hQhtBYDb5P5P8MggQwp3FnxoCSZsQAvD_BwE[/QUOTE]
two of yhe youtube videos about plumbing a sump i saw said its best to not reduce the size of the return from the pump. my pumps largest barb adapter is 1.5 inches. i saw some of those but was wondering if i should make a t and split it or just ha e a huge 1.5 pvc outlet

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using 1" drain and 1" return reduced to 3/4" at the water level with loclines.

A 1.5" return is overkill IMO unless you have a huge tank that requires you to move that much water.
Youll likely be dialing down your pump to half speed already.

I would standardize your plumbing first then figure out how to connect your jebao.
The jebaos arent all US threads and are all different sizes. so it can get tricky recommending parts for it.

I have a DCT3000 and it was able to recieve a 1" threaded x slip fitting to thread onto the top so it made it really easy to connect with 1" slips.
Theres a few different methods of creating your return line but bending tubing over the rim of the tank and into the display is not one of them :)

OP
OP
P

pureconcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I wish I checked my post more often and read your opinion. After it was all said and done even with my return pump set to 30 percent it was too strong for my system. I guess I messed up somewhere in my calculations. I had to reduce the outlet size to 1/2 inch to get it to balance with the overflow even at 30 percent power

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back