0   0   0
IMG_0953.JPG

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can food cause magnesium and calcium levels to go up? Does Red Sea reef energy coral nutrition effect the mag and cal ?
Just because I am OCD, I am linking Lasse’s response to this here

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you currently have any corals? I wouldn’t worry or stress too much over your calcium and magnesium if so. Regular water changes will keep it in check. You may have but I didn’t see any in the pics. The fish could care less.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*****UPDATE*****
8/6
Calcium:411 (down 32 points)
Magnesium: 1400
Alkalinity dKh: 6.2
Forgot to mention scarlet hermit crab molted. Found it’s molt on the sand Sunday.

How often do they molt mines molt like every month. Emerald fooled us twice! #ripNOT haha

196CC31D-12F0-4A77-84D1-51BBDB47F13B.jpeg 801816FD-95D5-4E43-B703-6D3497F60458.jpeg
Everything molts at different rates. My shrimps molt about twice a month. My porcelain crab maybe once a month. Don’t worry about molting. They grow and need new clothes.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Maritza !!! Beautiful setup and great equipment. I would just keep doing 10% WC every week until the tank matures. Chasing numbers at this time will get you more headache than enjoyment. I would keep eyes on feeding amount, filter socks cleaning every 2 or 3 days. I don't use filter socks anymore, now I use filter cup with Poli-fill from Walmart and change every 3 days....great results. IF you have the tank setup for only 4 month, you still be at the beginning stages of maturity so you will see some algae here and there. Do you make your own water (RODI ) or got it from an LFS? Test your water for the TDS. Light schedule and TDS can contribute to grow algae.

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nice setup you have going. I would definitely sacrifice and do weekly water changes for at least 6 months and then dial it back to when your tests tell you that it’s time. My alk is low too - I just finished my nitrogen cycle and added livestock. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it just yet.. give it some time with consistent water changes then see later down the line what your dosing requirements would be.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you currently have any corals? I wouldn’t worry or stress too much over your calcium and magnesium if so. Regular water changes will keep it in check. You may have but I didn’t see any in the pics. The fish could care less.
They are on their way bought some at the live sale!!! Will post that soon. :)

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Maritza !!! Beautiful setup and great equipment. I would just keep doing 10% WC every week until the tank matures. Chasing numbers at this time will get you more headache than enjoyment. I would keep eyes on feeding amount, filter socks cleaning every 2 or 3 days. I don't use filter socks anymore, now I use filter cup with Poli-fill from Walmart and change every 3 days....great results. IF you have the tank setup for only 4 month, you still be at the beginning stages of maturity so you will see some algae here and there. Do you make your own water (RODI ) or got it from an LFS? Test your water for the TDS. Light schedule and TDS can contribute to grow algae.
Make my own RODI! Yep change socks every 3 days.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you currently have any corals? I wouldn’t worry or stress too much over your calcium and magnesium if so. Regular water changes will keep it in check. You may have but I didn’t see any in the pics. The fish could care less
Forgot to mention I have Zoa And star polyp

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have some diatoms going on with the sandbed? i had that when i set my tank up.. tried a few different things and it just stuck around (i did read eventually it'll go away on its own) but i got a conch and it was gone in a couple of days. plus conchs are really cool and derpy looking

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have some diatoms going on with the sandbed? i had that when i set my tank up.. tried a few different things and it just stuck around (i did read eventually it'll go away on its own) but i got a conch and it was gone in a couple of days. plus conchs are really cool and derpy looking
It’s a mixture of hair algae Coraline algae diatoms. cleaned it yesterday it was like a film Peeled off

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a bit early for macro algae, that may explain Zero nutrients, Dino's and the presence of ammonia.
Did you use a bacteria booster? Live Aquaria has this for ten bucks add a little to every water change.
Dr Tims is a big favorite also
GL
1565733786765.png

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Results: thoughts?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: between 0-2
Alk: 6.4 was 7.2
Calcium:422 was 545
Mag: 1460
PH: 7.97 night 8.06 day
Redox: 282
Salinity: 1.025
Looks good. Just watch the alk swings. Most softie and LPS corals can tolerate swings but if you’re going to keep SPS, they’re less forgiving.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back