Newbies, this is me and my setup

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is build thread but please bear with me as I will try to help you all,

So first off I'm painter decorator, 1 wife, 1 daughter who is six now, another daughter on the way, I honestly can not wait as our daughter Rozalia has grown up so beautifully. I do not do social media. no time and people who need to contact have my personal number.

Ok where to start....

So brought a 200litre tank plus cabinet for £100 in February

I asked all normal questions, ESPECIALLY, DOES IT LEAK.

no.... But found it did so I cut out old silicone/ sealent and resealed all with aquatic sylicone £20

Filter/ cannister plus small media, around £70

Skimmer £20

Heater/ aquarium heater £17

(I had 3 returned as they was faulty) still looking for heater that holds the right temperature)

Jaebo wavemaker, £45 as I can upgrade later,

Instant ocean salt, carribian live sand, salt for fish only various on amount

Live rocks ( they are not live so purchase cheaper). I spent £180 to get the right kilo,.... Dead/ nothing on them.

Live rocks used to be full of polyps, crabs, sifters feathers... All literally anything you consider 'live' now just full of colour so avoid this and go dry 'if cheaper'

Via spectra light £150

Test kits vary, £13 each

I can go on and on but today I got my first fish and critters

think I'm all in at £2100

Hi, got my new aquarium critters today, 2x clown, cleaner shrimp, 8 X hermit crab, only orders 5 but think they had no blue legged so I they componsated ( I think) 8x snails, again in pack only ordered 5 X, very generous I guess.
However main comment is today has been phenomenaly hot, like never seen 35 on my car dash ever, house temp has been around 29celsius,81f very hot for UK.

My aquarium has had a temperature of 81f from 10 o'clock this morning, my new critters came (delivered) 12 :45) I have tried all day to get temperature below to average 26c but no avail.

They seem fine but hermit crabs and snails are not moving, I can see hermits/ larger faces but the more smaller have hidden, some snails buried themselves and some are just non movers, I'm going to create a build thread but has anyone else struggled with this in the UK todaythanks

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cover for your tank? if not, put a small fan and let it blow across the top of the tank. You'll get a few degrees cooler that way but you will get more evaporation. small price to pay for temperature regulation. Top off with RO/DI water and your all good.

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is build thread but please bear with me as I will try to help you all,

So first off I'm painter decorator, 1 wife, 1 daughter who is six now, another daughter on the way, I honestly can not wait as our daughter Rozalia has grown up so beautifully. I do not do social media. no time and people who need to contact have my personal number.

Ok where to start....

no.... But found it did so I cut out old silicone/ sealent and resealed all with aquatic sylicone £20

Skimmer £20

(I had 3 returned as they was faulty) still looking for heater that holds the right temperature)

Live rocks ( they are not live so purchase cheaper). I spent £180 to get the right kilo,.... Dead/ nothing on them.

Live rocks used to be full of polyps, crabs, sifters feathers... All literally anything you consider 'live' now just full of colour so avoid this and go dry 'if cheaper'

Via spectra light £150

Test kits vary, £13 each

Hi, got my new aquarium critters today, 2x clown, cleaner shrimp, 8 X hermit crab, only orders 5 but think they had no blue legged so I they componsated ( I think) 8x snails, again in pack only ordered 5 X, very generous I guess.
However main comment is today has been phenomenaly hot, like never seen 35 on my car dash ever, house temp has been around 29celsius,81f very hot for UK.

My aquarium has had a temperature of 81f from 10 o'clock this morning, my new critters came (delivered) 12 :45) I have tried all day to get temperature below to average 26c but no avail.

They seem fine but hermit crabs and snails are not moving, I can see hermits/ larger faces but the more smaller have hidden, some snails buried themselves and some are just non movers, I'm going to create a build thread but has anyone else struggled with this in the UK today thanks

Attachments

• IMG20210909000600.jpg
    IMG20210909000600.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2021-09-08-22-32-02-10_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-09-08-22-32-02-10_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG20210908222035.jpg
    IMG20210908222035.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think today's temperature is surprisingly hot for UK, room temperature is 28 so aquriam is hot, first delivery, little worried as tomorrow will be 16c normal, don't want to shock new in my aquarium

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cover for your tank? if not, put a small fan and let it blow across the top of the tank. You'll get a few degrees cooler that way but you will get more evaporation. small price to pay for temperature regulation. Top off with RO/DI water and your all good.
I have a jaebo wavemaker but I turned it off, turned off lights turned all of and set thermostat/ heater to 26
Had alot of problems with these in the past, need to find more accurate heaters

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok where to start....

Skimmer £20

Via spectra light £150

Test kits vary, £13 each

They seem fine but hermit crabs and snails are not moving, I can see hermits/ larger faces but the more smaller have hidden, some snails buried themselves and some are just non movers, I'm going to create a build thread but has anyone else struggled with this in the UK todaythanks
So dealing with an algae bloom so today had a delivery , try this out for £33

Attachments

• IMG20211008175739.jpg
    IMG20211008175739.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 23

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defiantly.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dealing with an algae bloom so today had a delivery , try this out for £33
That will help your aquarium overall, but won’t do much for an algae bloom on the rocks. For that you just need an adequate CuC (I would go with 0.75 snails/hermits per gallon, so roughly 35, 65/35 split snails/hermits, so a variety of 23 snails and 12 hermits - I would add half and then in a couple weeks the other half), and getting your nutrients (N&P) in check. But also, your tank is new, and you used dry rock, it’s going to go through probably a few ugly phases, you just have to wait them out and let your CuC do their job. If in 6 months you still have a problem you can look at other methods of removal, but for now just beef up your CuC and stay the course.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back