Newborns in the house. First time bein a parent... Need help!

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a breeding wyoming white with frostbite clownfish pair that layed eggs for the second time last week.
I have decided I will raise the fry during the first time they layed eggs.

Having that said, I watched some videos on the matter and got myself "ready" for the babies by buying and culturing rotifiers and having phyto on hand.

My clowns always lay the eggs on the back of a Jebao wavemaker I have, so it's easy to remove it and transfer to the fry tank, which I did last night. This morning, I went to check the tank and saw the little fry swimming around, probably around 10-20... But since I know that the light can literally kill them, I got scared and didn't look at the whole tank for the rest of the fry with my flashlight.

Well I added some rotifiers, and left for work.

My question is, can I have the ambient lights on as long as the water is tinted green (tank is painted black on all three sides)?
Can I point a flashlight on the top of the tank so I can see the fry or this might kill them?
How much rotifiers should I add a day and how many times? Would it be ok to add in the morning and at night?

Thank you!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ambient light it totally fine. Even pointing a flashlight at the larvae is fine, so long as you don't startle them or keep the light on them for an extended period of time. Adding rotifers in the morning and at night should be fine -- but it really depends on how many babies you're trying to raise and how concentrated your rotifers are. Ideally, you don't want a baby to have to travel very far to find a rotifer to eat.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back