Newby trying to get off to a good start

Jtleland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Newby here. I finished a "fishless cycle" then introduced a clown last week and turned on the lights. Water has been really clear all along, but today it has started to get cloudy. Any suggestions?

water parameters: salinity 1.025, alkalinity 8.5, pH 8.0, temp 77.1, nitrates 20, phosphates .26,
20210906_173232.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, add some live rock. Reef ecosystems are very complex and a plethora of organisms across all the kingdoms are essential for a successful system. It looks to me like you started off with just sterile rock and some bacteria starter stuff. Unfortunatel much of the microbial stuff needed can't be cultured and stuck in a bottle. Here's an exellent article on establishning ahealthy microbiome and some videos you may find informative. Additioanlly I'd encorrage you to get Forest Rohwer's book "Coral reefs in hte Microbial Seas" (kindle `$10, paperback ~$17) it's an excellent introduction to the conflicting roles of the various types (species) of DOC in reef ecosystems.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best reef over the sea! Suggest also you take a look at Bulk Reef Supplies videos on Youtube that cover most any topic you can think of on the hobby. Also, read Ron Reefman's articles here.

OP
OP
Jtleland

Jtleland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best reef over the sea! Suggest also you take a look at Bulk Reef Supplies videos on Youtube that cover most any topic you can think of on the hobby. Also, read Ron Reefman's articles here.

Love the BRS series! They are very informative, but I would also like to hear some tips and tricks from some long haulers in the hobby who have 5-10 year tanks.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the BRS series! They are very informative, but I would also like to hear some tips and tricks from some long haulers in the hobby who have 5-10 year tanks.
You will certainly get that here once you start asking advice and get challenged on things you don't know or can't figure out like hitchhikers. :)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will certainly get that here once you start asking advice and get challenged on things you don't know or can't figure out like hitchhikers. :)
This is the welcome forum by the way
You may be having a bacterial bloom but not sure. You might try adding some Seachem Clarity. Another option is a water change. Double check the ammonia. Note this is the welcome forum. If you post future threads to the forum that matches your issue, you will have greater success with getting advice. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back