Newer low bio load tank and dropping alk..is there a common depletion rate based on load?

BRS

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello. I have a 90gl tank up and running for about 3 months. Very minimal load. Mostly coral frags and 4 fish. About a week or so ago my ALK measured around 6.6dkh and I bumped it up to 9.3dkh this past Saturday afternoon test. Today I tested ALK and it is back down around 7dkh in 4 days time. I am using Fritz 2 part and only dosing the Alk. Cal -450 and Mag -1380. Very little Coraline growth thus far.

Is this depletion rate normal? Is there something I am not addressing causing this? Salinity 1.026.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello. I have a 90gl tank up and running for about 3 months. Very minimal load. Mostly coral frags and 4 fish. About a week or so ago my ALK measured around 6.6dkh and I bumped it up to 9.3dkh this past Saturday afternoon test. Today I tested ALK and it is back down around 7dkh in 4 days time. I am using Fritz 2 part and only dosing the Alk. Cal -450 and Mag -1380. Very little Coraline growth thus far.

Is this depletion rate normal? Is there something I am not addressing causing this? Salinity 1.026.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Have you checked your calcium? I know you wrote 450 but is that what your tank is or what is on the box.. reason I ask is i use Fritz salt to.To much calcium will drive down your alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank

OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My calcium is measuring around 480 using Salifert test kit. Interesting thing is I have yet to dose Calcium as it has not dropped yet. I dose the Alk once per week currently.

AS
BRS

How long does it take to you to get an inch of acropora growth? (on average)

• A couple of weeks or less

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Up to 1 month

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Up to 2 months

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Up to 3 months

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Up to 6 months

Votes: 49 23.4%
  • Up to 12 months

Votes: 14 6.7%