Newer low bio load tank and dropping alk..is there a common depletion rate based on load?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 90gl tank up and running for about 3 months. Very minimal load. Mostly coral frags and 4 fish. About a week or so ago my ALK measured around 6.6dkh and I bumped it up to 9.3dkh this past Saturday afternoon test. Today I tested ALK and it is back down around 7dkh in 4 days time. I am using Fritz 2 part and only dosing the Alk. Cal -450 and Mag -1380. Very little Coraline growth thus far.

Is this depletion rate normal? Is there something I am not addressing causing this? Salinity 1.026.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure when raising alk you do so at about 1pt a day. Big swings can cause issues. What test kit are you using?

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only raised the alk 1meq/ per day...did it slowly..
I am using Salifert test kits for Alk/Cal and Mag

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 90gl tank up and running for about 3 months. Very minimal load. Mostly coral frags and 4 fish. About a week or so ago my ALK measured around 6.6dkh and I bumped it up to 9.3dkh this past Saturday afternoon test. Today I tested ALK and it is back down around 7dkh in 4 days time. I am using Fritz 2 part and only dosing the Alk. Cal -450 and Mag -1380. Very little Coraline growth thus far.

Is this depletion rate normal? Is there something I am not addressing causing this? Salinity 1.026.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Have you checked your calcium? I know you wrote 450 but is that what your tank is or what is on the box.. reason I ask is i use Fritz salt to.To much calcium will drive down your alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is measuring around 480 using Salifert test kit. Interesting thing is I have yet to dose Calcium as it has not dropped yet. I dose the Alk once per week currently.

Back