newish tank, zoas acting strange

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a little tank setup for about a month but it has been setup with lots of bio balls from my main DT. The tank is just a holding tank for corals while i deal with a hydroid problem in my DT. All my zoas are doing fine apart from these Sunny Ds and a small 2 head utter chaos rock. I have loads of these in the tank its just these 2 rocks that have zoas on that seem to have lost their skirt or they have curled up.

Before you say the tanks too new (by looking at the rockwork) the tank is doing just fine and the rockwork is over 12 months old just its now upside down and the side you see in the picture has only been out of the sand for about 2 days so yes it looks new but the underside is covered in coraline and bloody feather dusters :D

Parameters
salt 1.026
Alk is a little low at 7.7
Mag 1400
cal 450
PH 8.2
Nitrates 5-10
Phos 0.03

Haven't seen this happen for a long time cant remember what it was. Could it be too much light? The light that is on this little tank isn't exactly a decent one its just blue and white LEDs some cheap thing that came with the tank. I have zoas higher up in the tank that are doing fine, speckled krakatoas, fairy munchers, gobstoppers, king midas etc and I have zoas down on the sand bed on plugs purple people eaters, gorilla nipples and some others I don't know the name of. Flow is low. 99% sure there is nothing pest wise in this tank.

253769907_1074366813300776_2563467946690015061_n.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have had a little tank setup for about a month but it has been setup with lots of bio balls from my main DT. The tank is just a holding tank for corals while i deal with a hydroid problem in my DT. All my zoas are doing fine apart from these Sunny Ds and a small 2 head utter chaos rock. I have loads of these in the tank its just these 2 rocks that have zoas on that seem to have lost their skirt or they have curled up.

Before you say the tanks too new (by looking at the rockwork) the tank is doing just fine and the rockwork is over 12 months old just its now upside down and the side you see in the picture has only been out of the sand for about 2 days so yes it looks new but the underside is covered in coraline and bloody feather dusters :D

Parameters
salt 1.026
Alk is a little low at 7.7
Mag 1400
cal 450
PH 8.2
Nitrates 5-10
Phos 0.03

Haven't seen this happen for a long time cant remember what it was. Could it be too much light? The light that is on this little tank isn't exactly a decent one its just blue and white LEDs some cheap thing that came with the tank. I have zoas higher up in the tank that are doing fine, speckled krakatoas, fairy munchers, gobstoppers, king midas etc and I have zoas down on the sand bed on plugs purple people eaters, gorilla nipples and some others I don't know the name of. Flow is low. 99% sure there is nothing pest wise in this tank.

253769907_1074366813300776_2563467946690015061_n.jpg
was the light similar in both tanks - if not - I agree it could be light. Was the flow similar - if not it could be that. From. my experience - there is not a lot of 'proof' that you need low flow for Zoas - instead - its more like the more light - the more flow needed. Hope this helps - and also - Zoas often do this when their environment is changed. Do you happen to have ammonia and nitrites? Since you're likely killing stuff on the base (former front) of your rock

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no nitrites or ammonia but these were doing this before I added this rock to the tank and they were higher up on a rack before I added the rock, so they have been lower down for past 2 days. They have been like this since they switched tanks maybe 10 days ago.
The old tank definitely has a better light spectrum and more flow. These are getting enough flow. I have about 20 other frags of zoas in the tank all looking fine. I am thinking light more than anything. They did have hydroids that were stinging them that have all been glued over. maybe they are still recovering from when I was dealing with the hydroids.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no nitrites or ammonia but these were doing this before I added this rock to the tank and they were higher up on a rack before I added the rock, so they have been lower down for past 2 days. They have been like this since they switched tanks maybe 10 days ago.
The old tank definitely has a better light spectrum and more flow. These are getting enough flow. I have about 20 other frags of zoas in the tank all looking fine. I am thinking light more than anything. They did have hydroids that were stinging them that have all been glued over. maybe they are still recovering from when I was dealing with the hydroids.
I guess - in that case - give them time

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back