Newly cycled 135 yellow tang or yellow mimic tang

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done black sand and need bright colors with minimal aggression. Suggestions on fish please? Currently have a Wyoming white and Mocha clown, blue damsel and 2 conch

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7e3cbd0c800a99c40d4ee9040b8a4ed4.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done black sand and need bright colors with minimal aggression. Suggestions on fish please?
I think you need to look at your stocking plan in its entirety. Tangs are not known as peaceful fish however they are normally only aggressive toward each other. If this will be the only Tang in your system, I would go with the yellow. If you want a more peaceful yellow fish, I would go with a One Spot Foxface.

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to look at your stocking plan in its entirety. Tangs are not known as peaceful fish however they are normally only aggressive toward each other. If this will be the only Tang in your system, I would go with the yellow. If you want a more peaceful yellow fish, I would go with a One Spot Foxface.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am only wanting one tang in the tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Yes, I am only wanting one tang in the tank.
Ok, my thought would be to get yellow from a Foxface and then pick a different tang for other color options. However, if you get a Yellow Tang, you could get a Magnificent Foxface. I love mine and they would really pop in a darker aquarium.

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my thought would be to get yellow from a Foxface and then pick a different tang for other color options. However, if you get a Yellow Tang, you could get a Magnificent Foxface. I love mine and they would really pop in a darker aquarium.

My wishlist is looking like this so far

Mag Foxface
Yellow Tang
5-7 Red Firefish
9-11 chromis
5 Bartlett or Carberryi Anthias.
Mystery Wrasse
Bella or Diamond Goby

Feedback appreciated

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wishlist is looking like this so far

Mag Foxface
Yellow Tang
5-7 Red Firefish
9-11 chromis
5 Bartlett or Carberryi Anthias.
Mystery Wrasse
Bella or Diamond Goby

Feedback appreciated
You are likely to have problems with both the Firefish and the Chromis. Unless you have a fish in the tank that scares them into shoaling activities they will gradually kill each other off until you are down to either a mating pair or just one. Very few people are able to keep a school of either long term. I would do a bunch of research before you try that route. It can be done, but it is a challenge.

Fortunately, the Anthias are a schooling fish, not a shoaling fish, so they will do fantastic in a group of 5 as long as you get only 1 male or all females.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to add them in order of least aggressive to most. Tang and Foxface last. I agree that you should only do a pair of fire fish. I wouldn’t mess with the chromis. That’s just me. Maybe try a clownfish pair or add a wrasse or two if you remove the chromis?

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It def gives me more to think about.

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of corals I’m having held till tank is more mature and that seems to be limiting other fish options.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Royal Gamma would also add some nice color half purple half yellow. Though for sheer spectacular color flasher wrases are gorgeous.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two pair of fire fish in a 6’ tank. They did fine as long as they felt intimidated. But once they got confident one pair eliminated the other.

I have a yellow tang. It gets along pretty well with my Kole tang. They spar occasionally but it never has gotten serious. They make a decent pair.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow mimic tang, I prefer their personality to that of a yellow tang. But a mimic tang is a chocolate tang, they do not stay yellow. Mine is changing at the moment, some don't think this faze is attractive. A full chocolate tang is very beautiful and pictures don't do them justice.

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the fence between the two fish. I want the bright yellow because of the black sand but the mimic tang is beautiful

jdemarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the color change of the mimic....i personally love the final stage as it's not common and very unique imo but I have multiple tangs and each has something different to offer. If you want that splash of yellow cant go wrong with the classic yellow tang...it stands the test of time for sure and is a def staple for most tanks

OP
OP
becca10

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far i have 2 pairs of clownfish, a 6 line pirate wrasse, a blue damsel, small yellow tang and a Midas blenny. I am getting the Mag Foxface next week. Slow n easy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back