Newly discovered symbiotic relationship?? Or

Leonml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe not symbiotic, but mutualism, because they are both fish.

Im new here, but in the hobby on some level for 15 years.

I have this male lyretail who had 4 females, and then one died from stress from it and the other lyetails aggression. The Male after a while would guard over where it hid sometimes. I notice the pecking order establishing. Before the one died it ate one day then never came out the next. I took it out and put it in a floating box, but it died soon after.

To make a long story short, i noticed my pearly jawfish relocated into a corner, seems great, eats, etc. No one's bothering him. Then i noticed this behavior between the anthias and the pearly. He seems to continue moving sand and isn't bothered. I thought at first the anthias was trying to keep him in his hole, but when i feed he chases food and the pearly eats.

Im wondering if this isn't some type of relationship not known, or if im completely off. I notice no aggression.

Sorry for the dirty glass, i was going to clean it, but didn't want to disturb the situation. By the way, the jawfish had a rock debris pile and tunnels 6 inches from a lightning maroon and was never bothered. This relationship between the anthias and the pearly didn't start till he moved to the corner. Im certain because the lighting maroon wouldn't allow it. It never bothered the pearly even during feeding.

Here's a short video.

Attachments

• 20200405_143121.mp4
    83.3 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leonml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable. Im a member or was, a member of many various sites, never to be ignored. Usually you get views for every post and some input if interesting stuff. I couldn't find any info on what i posted pf the relationship of the fish i have. Not 1 single look. Then i find tons of comments to what fish is this and wonder if the person has google. Also a post about whats on the grille for dinner.
Pathetic!!
Believe me, I've been on so many varieties of forums and never had this level of disinterest.
Sadly i think i picked the wrong forum. Im moving on.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your thread fell between the cracks, it feels like a lot more have been lately with the flood of new members and free time that the world has r2r busier than usual.

hmmm that is interesting. I quickly googled the two species you mentioned and they are found in very different parts of the world so this would not be a naturally occurring (between these two species anyway) which could suggest either they do this with similar species in their respective environments or this is a learned behavior. If thats the case I wonder what led to them tolerating each other in such a way.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a lot of time debating on whether I should respond to this or not. There are thousands of threads on this forum and sometimes some are lost/missed and no one sees it, especially with how many people are stuck at home and posting more than usual.

I would not take it personal, and if a thread you post gets missed, just give it a bump. This thread is still very new at one day old.

Feel free to use whatever forum you feel most at home with, however, I think you will find a plethora of good advice around here. The internet is a cruel place, and many people love it here.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, your thread had at least one view because I read it when you posted. The video doesn’t work for me, I have no experience with either of the fish you mentioned and I didn’t understand the behavior from your written description so I didn’t respond but also, you got responses in less than 12 hours. There are so many threads here. My questions often take 24 or more hours to get noticed. And now, instead of getting answers about your specific question you’re just getting people commenting on your rudeness but it’ll look like your thread got lots of responses so it’s possible that people will see that and think it’s resolved. Anyway, if it’s been more than 24 hours and no responses then you could bump the thread politely, without insulting everybody here.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish will behave in a different matter in home aquaria as it would do in natural habitats. It doesn’t really means the fish has mutated.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable. Im a member or was, a member of many various sites, never to be ignored. Usually you get views for every post and some input if interesting stuff. I couldn't find any info on what i posted pf the relationship of the fish i have. Not 1 single look. Then i find tons of comments to what fish is this and wonder if the person has google. Also a post about whats on the grille for dinner.
Pathetic!!
Believe me, I've been on so many varieties of forums and never had this level of disinterest.
Sadly i think i picked the wrong forum. Im moving on.
In all the other “sites” you are a member of is this response considered good or bad behavior? I’m guessing most sites don’t condone this type of reply either. I can assure you, you’re not being ignored. It’s just tough to answer or share since the video doesn’t play.

Your video doesn’t play for me. If there is a next time perhaps upload to a hosting site like Youtube then link to the video.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Its the nature of the digital era. Everyone wants answers yesterday and is upset when they dont get attention immediatly!
There are over 7 billion souls on this "live rock" we live on lol.
On a lighter note. I have 6 blue green chromis in my 120. The convict tang swims around the tank with them all the time. It is the boss of the group. I think it thinks its a chromis. Keeps them from being aggresive and breaks up all squables.
I think alot of fish change from there enviroment to some extent in our glass boxes. They adapt just like we do to living in confined spaces.
Hope you stick around as this is a great forum, and......
giphy (1).gif

OP
OP
L

Leonml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ. I've been a member of car enthusiast forums, auto repair, audio video and so on. This would be the first where ive seen a topic ignored. Typically what i find is forums can form cliques, where friends take care of each other, etc. And ignore others. Everyone's saying it's the virus. Well, you'd think not only an increase in questions, but an increase in traffic, so it should be fairly balanced.

Usually the typical repeated questions and easily searched topics get ignored or posts telling people to search. Usually something seeming unusual gets people's attention.

OP
OP
L

Leonml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, i just felt this unusual behavior considering the anthias seems more aggressive to the other fish it can push around. The pearly would be pretty easy to beat the crap out of.

OP
OP
L

Leonml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the other “sites” you are a member of is this response considered good or bad behavior? I’m guessing most sites don’t condone this type of reply either. I can assure you, you’re not being ignored. It’s just tough to answer or share since the video doesn’t play.

Your video doesn’t play for me. If there is a next time perhaps upload to a hosting site like Youtube then link to the video.
Never seen anyone post a concern of being ignored, it never happened unless someone was being lazy and didn't follow the instruction to first search a topic before posting something that was beat in the ground already.

OP
OP
L

Leonml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, your thread had at least one view because I read it when you posted. The video doesn’t work for me, I have no experience with either of the fish you mentioned and I didn’t understand the behavior from your written description so I didn’t respond but also, you got responses in less than 12 hours. There are so many threads here. My questions often take 24 or more hours to get noticed. And now, instead of getting answers about your specific question you’re just getting people commenting on your rudeness but it’ll look like your thread got lots of responses so it’s possible that people will see that and think it’s resolved. Anyway, if it’s been more than 24 hours and no responses then you could bump the thread politely, without insulting everybody here.
I checked the post, it was not responded to for 2 days from what i saw.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess at this point would be that the jawfishes burrow has exposed new territory for the Anthias to rule over and the jawfish being so different from anthias in shape, colour, behaviour etc doesn't really show up as a blip on the anthias radar as he would be more concerned about protecting that territory from conspecifics. I feel the jawfish doesn't really get much say in the matter since as you noted he would lose the 1v1 so he just goes about continuing to build his burrow.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the post, it was not responded to for 2 days from what i saw.

So, have you gotten the responses now that you wanted?

How many actual views did you have in those 2 days till you got a response after you complained?

As of this post you have 15 response and 264 views. Not everyone has an answer to your question but it has gotten attention..

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll agree with the others here. I'm sorry you didn't get an answer as quickly as hoped for. I do think perhaps one reason is that the video isn't viewable. I tried to watch it as well and it wouldn't play. We have lots of experts on fish behavior who I'm certain can help if the video helps to see the behavior you're talking about.

I do also want to say that there's a wonderful community of people who are ready and willing to help. It's unfortunate that this wasn't your first experience, but I do hope you'll give R2R another opportunity. There are certainly lots of people here who have found a solid community of support and enjoyment for this great hobby.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not witnessed this behaviour with a jawfish and anthias before (I also can't see the video) but have seen similar behaviour with anthias and dartfish, as well as anthias and pistol shrimp pair, including a mix of all about ten mixed dartfish an anthias plus a goby and shrimp pair. That was quite a site as I added food and they one by one came out of the hole, with me not really understanding how they all fitted in there.
That was in a shop situation with limited hiding places but many fish seem to buddy up in our tank in an unnatural fashion. I'm a little surprised the jawfish allows the anthias and I know they are seen as timid but it could see the anthias off if it wanted simply from being a head in the whole and not allowing it.

Does the anthias share the hole at night? I say that because many jaws block their burrow and therefore the anthias would need to be accepted.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back