Newly fragged corals on the sand bed?

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, ok this might sound dumb and unnecessary to some of you guys but I was just wondering if I can keep the corals that I get on the sand bed instead of on a frag rack while they acclimate. I haven’t set up my tank yet but I am asking now as I want everything to be prepared when I set it up. The tank will be a 60 inch peninsula style tank. I also want to frag corals, so after fragging and putting them on the frag plugs, instead of using a frag rack, can I put them on the sand bed? Will that work? Please let me know. Thank you in advance! Also is it possible to put a small tank on top of my sump like Red Sea puts their aio reservoir on their tanks? If so then I want to make that into a mini frag tank.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, ok this might sound dumb and unnecessary to some of you guys but I was just wondering if I can keep the corals that I get on the sand bed instead of on a frag rack while they acclimate. I haven’t set up my tank yet but I am asking now as I want everything to be prepared when I set it up. The tank will be a 60 inch peninsula style tank. I also want to frag corals, so after fragging and putting them on the frag plugs, instead of using a frag rack, can I put them on the sand bed? Will that work? Please let me know. Thank you in advance! Also is it possible to put a small tank on top of my sump like Red Sea puts their aio reservoir on their tanks? If so then I want to make that into a mini frag tank.
Yes but cuc will knock them over easier and they will have a harder time healing if recently fragged.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but cuc will knock them over easier and they will have a harder time healing if recently fragged.
I plan on having a simple clean up crew of trochus snails, nassarius snails, cleaner shrimp, fire red shrimp and copepods. That’s all I want to keep, do you think they will knock over the frag plugs? Also um I like hermit crabs and probably won’t put any in there as they can harm snails and all, but a part of me still wants blue legged hermits as I really like them. Do you think it is possible to keep them?

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tank is overflowing with frags and many are on the sand bed. They get pushed around, knocked over and dragged by the CUC and all are perfectly fine. It isn’t optimal of course and things like SPS grow into weird shapes because they are constantly roll around. Will they survive? Yeah. Will they thrive? Maybe. Is it optimal? Not really.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tank is overflowing with frags and many are on the sand bed. They get pushed around, knocked over and dragged by the CUC and all are perfectly fine. It isn’t optimal of course and things like SPS grow into weird shapes because they are constantly roll around. Will they survive? Yeah. Will they thrive? Maybe. Is it optimal? Not really.
Hey, do you think nassarius snails and trochus snails would knock over and drag around the frag plugs?

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, do you think nassarius snails and trochus snails would knock over and drag around the frag plugs?
Yes. They burrow under the plugs destabilizing them and they eventually fall over. They also get caught up in corals like anacropora and roll them around. I have to flip things back over and move stuff at least 1-2 times a week.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it temporarily, then place where I want them to be. Personal preference I like to keep my sand bed free and clear.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back