News: Two brothers smuggled rare corals to Latin America. Now they’re going to prison.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know $3 Damsel fish is protected species and can't be exported. Both person Jailed for 6 months.

"When agents intercepted a package sent by a Miami husband and wife to Bogota, Colombia, they found a menagerie of undeclared wildlife.
They seized black cellophane-wrapped boxes on March 3, 2015, at Miami International Airport’s Airmail Facility. Inside were rare elkhorn, frogspawn, and green leather corals, alongside vulnerable giant clams, puffer fish, and damsel fish.

Prosecutors say the shipment’s owners, Alvaro Cortes and Olga Rodriguez, were at the center of a wider conspiracy to traffic internationally protected marine wildlife.
The pair dispute the charges. On Tuesday, two of their alleged co-conspirators were sentenced to six months in federal prison by U.S. District Judge Darrin Gayles for trafficking in wildlife.
"
LINK BELOW

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/c...0200226-chdqks7vrjafhcxwzpzpjtcfgq-story.html

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy Japanese whalers can hunt with no consequences but they’ll jail someone for this.

But I’m sure there’s way more to this than we know.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pretty old article. But if the government doesn't get their cut.. permits to export, then it becomes illegal. And the government doesn't like to loose lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back