Next best tang to a yellow tang

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree I wouldn't put a powder brown or blue in a newer tank. They don't get nearly as big as a Naso. I'm not familiar with waterbox sizes but I'd put them in a 5-6 foot tank before a Naso. I'd never put a Naso in anything under a a 240 gallon tbh. Just because they can get to about 18" in the home aquarium. The Powders are more like 9"
while i don't disagree with what you've said exceptions do occur where a Naso can actually be a very good choice for someone that wants a tang but isn't sold on adding aggressive, fast moving, hell raiser species like Zebrasoma.
I've had a Naso going on 4 years in a standard 120g that is at about 4" now. I do realize it's going to grow but also realize it happens very slow and that there are many reefers in my community that have massive 8-10 foot systems and can only add mature fish that can hold their own with the current occupants.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while i don't disagree with what you've said exceptions do occur where a Naso can actually be a very good choice for someone that wants a tang but isn't sold on adding aggressive, fast moving, hell raiser species like Zebrasoma.
I've had a Naso going on 4 years in a standard 120g that is at about 4" now. I do realize it's going to grow but also realize it happens very slow and that there are many reefers in my community that have massive 8-10 foot systems and can only add mature fish that can hold their own with the current occupants.
Is that a pretty typical growth rate for Naso tangs? If so then I see no problem adding them to a smaller tank until it outgrows it. I've had a Yellow, Blue and Powder Blue and they all grew very fast. I've never even considered a Naso because I know they get much bigger than most tangs and just assumed that they would grow just as quickly. I understand it's a different genus but figured growth rate would be similiar.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a pretty typical growth rate for Naso tangs? If so then I see no problem adding them to a smaller tank until it outgrows it. I've had a Yellow, Blue and Powder Blue and they all grew very fast. I've never even considered a Naso because I know they get much bigger than most tangs and just assumed that they would grow just as quickly. I understand it's a different genus but figured growth rate would be similiar.
i'm by no means the expert on Naso tangs but in the 4 years its grown probably an inch and a half and has kept a perfect temperament with the other fish.
I was also reluctant to pick one up for the exact same reasons you mentioned, i was under the impression it'd be a monster quickly. Fortunately it hasn't been the case but as i mentioned previously, i preplanned some potential landing spots for his future home when his tail is hanging out of the tank haha.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back