Next clean up crew additions?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up and running for about 2 months now. Current inhabitants are a Clownfish and fighting conch. I made it through dinos quickly thanks to my conch (he was an absolute boss eating them). Just started developing green algae (doesn't appear to be hair algae, rock just coated in a flat green covering) and see two spots of what I belive to be cynobacteria. Film on the glass also building up and have to clean the glass more often.

I realize I shouldn't have got the conch as he'll likely outgrown my 14G tank, so I dont want anything that would in theory compete with his scavenging. Looking for something to complement it.

Thoughts of what to add next?

zen89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up and running for about 2 months now. Current inhabitants are a Clownfish and fighting conch. I made it through dinos quickly thanks to my conch (he was an absolute boss eating them). Just started developing green algae (doesn't appear to be hair algae, rock just coated in a flat green covering) and see two spots of what I belive to be cynobacteria. Film on the glass also building up and have to clean the glass more often.

I realize I shouldn't have got the conch as he'll likely outgrown my 14G tank, so I dont want anything that would in theory compete with his scavenging. Looking for something to complement it.

ANy update on this mate?

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you start with dry rock? How did you cycle?

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANy update on this mate?

Still didn’t put anything else in, but tank is growing a short brownish algae all over so need some help. Probably going to pick some up this week.

was thinking of getting some cerith and trocus snails

Did you start with dry rock? How did you cycle?

Yes, started with dry Rock. Used bottled bacteria and fed the tank until cycled.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still didn’t put anything else in, but tank is growing a short brownish algae all over so need some help. Probably going to pick some up this week.

was thinking of getting some cerith and trocus snails

Yes, started with dry Rock. Used bottled bacteria and fed the tank until cycled.

Trochus snails AKA Reef Roomba's... I threw 7 in my tank (60g cube) because my rocks were covered. Two days later my rocks looked like they were new. The Trochus do not spend much time on the sand though so you'd want Nassarius or Cerith snails there. They'll pick up the slack your Fighting Conch misses. I also have blue legged hermits and emerald crabs that help as well. For cleanup crew fish I have a Starry Blenny and a Tailspot Blenny and both munch on green algae.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tuxedo urchins, turbo snails, and blue leg crabs. Using blue leg crabs might want to have empty middle and larger shells because when they grow, they will need larger wheels and can eat the snails for the shell. There are other invertebrates that will eat algae like margarita snails, a great choice.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like trochus because they can right themselves if they fall off glass onto the sand. They clean the rocks and glass.

I also like Astrea snails. I think these guys are better at eating algae than trochus, but they cannot right themselves if they fall on the sand. They clean glass and rocks.

Neither one of these competes with the conch.

An urchin is good if you don’t care about it eating your coralline algae.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why add anything?
Maintaining stable low and balanced nutrient waters is 100 times better than any CUC.
CUCs add nutrients back to the system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Snails:
Turbo
Astrea
Nerite
Cerith
Nassarius
Trochus

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why add anything?
Maintaining stable low and balanced nutrient waters is 100 times better than any CUC.

I’m new to the saltwater hobby and trying to learn. I don’t have a good answer to your question.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why add anything?
Tanks are little ecosystems. You either do it like nature, or find a a different way with chemicals or absorbing materials, or starving fish, then do too much removal with those and get Dino’s.
I’ll take nature and my CUC any day;)
Some of those nutrients end up in their biomass, some of that silica ends up in their shell, the algae gets eaten, and yes, they release ammonia as waste (which corals prefer as a nitrogen source). Win, Win, Win in my book.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money Corwie are pretty neat much more interesting to look at and I have never had any problems with them in a reef setting. Never tried Tiger Corwies. They are the longest lived snail in my care over 4 years in some cases.

Otherwise Trocus snails are great because they can self right themselves if they fall over wrong.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are little ecosystems. You either do it like nature, or find a a different way with chemicals or absorbing materials, or starving fish, then do too much removal with those and get Dino’s.
I’ll take nature and my CUC any day;)
Some of those nutrients end up in their biomass, some of that silica ends up in their shell, the algae gets eaten, and yes, they release ammonia as waste (which corals prefer as a nitrogen source). Win, Win, Win in my book.

^ This... I'll add vacuuming the tank to export whatever waste the CUC misses or adds weekly. I use a python and run the hose into a filter sock in my sump, then change out the my socks, clean skimmer etc..

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Urchins are my absolute favorite for a clean up crew!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Love Love Love urchins too. Such cool creatures. But they will eat your coralline algae too. I had to put mine in the sump until my tank gets more coralline growing in it.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Love Love Love urchins too. Such cool creatures. But they will eat your coralline algae too. I had to put mine in the sump until my tank gets more coralline growing in it.

My tank is only a 14G. I don't have the rook unfortunately.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back