Next steps...?

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my NUVO 20 up and running for just three weeks now. I have introduced a few fish, and a few soft corals.

Up to this point I have only been running some mechanical filtration in the way of filter floss in the overflow media baskets. At what point should I start thinking about adding something like ChemiPure Blue?

My system came with two packets each of GFO and carbon, that I have not put in yet. I also picked up some nano packs of ChemiPure to have on hand.

My bio load is pretty low (though I just upped my fish count from one to three, and I do have a fire shrimp in there) I have a small HOB refugium with a bit of Chaeto in it, and have the light set opposite that of my DT (it is also only lit for about 5 hours per day ATM).

Last test (yesterday) my nitrates were at about 2ppm (NYOS kit) and my PO4 was at 0 (Salifert Kit)

right now feeding once a day alternating LRS Reef frenzy and HIkari Marine S pellets.

I also have been adding Reef Nutrition's Phyto Feast every other day to help my pods.

I have just started to see some diatom spots on the substrate in the last two days.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my NUVO 20 up and running for just three weeks now. I have introduced a few fish, and a few soft corals.

Up to this point I have only been running some mechanical filtration in the way of filter floss in the overflow media baskets. At what point should I start thinking about adding something like ChemiPure Blue?

My system came with two packets each of GFO and carbon, that I have not put in yet. I also picked up some nano packs of ChemiPure to have on hand.

My bio load is pretty low (though I just upped my fish count from one to three, and I do have a fire shrimp in there) I have a small HOB refugium with a bit of Chaeto in it, and have the light set opposite that of my DT (it is also only lit for about 5 hours per day ATM).

Last test (yesterday) my nitrates were at about 2ppm (NYOS kit) and my PO4 was at 0 (Salifert Kit)

right now feeding once a day alternating LRS Reef frenzy and HIkari Marine S pellets.

I also have been adding Reef Nutrition's Phyto Feast every other day to help my pods.

I have just started to see some diatom spots on the substrate in the las two days.
Take a breath and slow down. A few weeks with a few fish and and few coral is launching out of the gates. A few fish in a 20g is almost maxing it out. Don't do anything except test every few days and react from testing. If you notice an issue, then correct it. Keep dosing the live photo, it'll help along the way. I really liked the algae barn stuff before I started making my own. My advice would be testing twice a week, a notepad to keep track of trends and no new additions for a couple months. In no time you'll will be able to answer your own questions on the matters at hand.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if using the API master kit it's time for an upgrade. Nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity for softies, add magnesium, Ph and calcium for LPS or sps. Salifert, red sea, and Hanna tests are all good.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if using the API master kit it's time for an upgrade. Nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity for softies, add magnesium, Ph and calcium for LPS or sps. Salifert, red sea, and Hanna tests are all good.
Using Salifert test kits (and a Nyos nitrate kit from the initial cycle)

Thanks for the advice. I try to be proactive...but I know that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing...lol.

Back