Next steps

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my dogface puffer into a qt tank when he started showing signs of ich. I’m using nox ich I just stumbled on humble fish saying it wasn’t a great med for puffers. Today is the last day of treatment and he’s still scratching. What would your next step be.
I have copper power. Should I transition him to copper with a day break from meds? Or hold off and monitor. He’s still eating and active.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my dogface puffer into a qt tank when he started showing signs of ich. I’m using nox ich I just stumbled on humble fish saying it wasn’t a great med for puffers. Today is the last day of treatment and he’s still scratching. What would your next step be.
I have copper power. Should I transition him to copper with a day break from meds? Or hold off and monitor. He’s still eating and active.
He seems to be grasping time for a water change.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide pictures?

also need more info
Describe your QT process.
What other fish are in the DT where the puffer was?
Have other fish shown symptoms?
How long have you had the puffer and other fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nox Ich is just a freshwater medication, despite what the label says. One of its ingredients is sodium chloride (grin).
If you are 100% sure of your ich diagnosis you should change 50.% of the water and start copper. If you are not sure if it is ich, post pics and background info here and we’ll try to sort it out.
Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nox Ich is just a freshwater medication, despite what the label says. One of its ingredients is sodium chloride (grin).
If you are 100% sure of your ich diagnosis you should change 50.% of the water and start copper. If you are not sure if it is ich, post pics and background info here and we’ll try to sort it out.
Jay
I’m pretty positive he had spots all over his fins when I say all over I don’t mean velvet just enough to know it’s ich not sand or white blotches. It was just on his fins. He wasn’t scratching I started treating him and of course he started scratching.
So no breaks do this today? Also copper power should be dosed over three days correct? I’m also mixing pellets with selcon and garlic he’s still eating.
I would say it’s pretty mild ich outbreak

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide pictures?

also need more info
Describe your QT process.
What other fish are in the DT where the puffer was?
Have other fish shown symptoms?
How long have you had the puffer and other fish?
The fish was in my tank about a month. No other fish have ich I removed him right away. I have a bare bottom 20 gallon qt tank. I should of just started with copper but somehow I got it in my head that copper wouldn’t be good for a dogface puffer.

ive had the others between 2-3 months

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish was in my tank about a month. No other fish have ich I removed him right away. I have a bare bottom 20 gallon qt tank. I should of just started with copper but somehow I got it in my head that copper wouldn’t be good for a dogface puffer.

ive had the others between 2-3 months
Photos will really be useful. I'm surprised the spots only appear on fins and may be an indication of something other than ich.

If indeed the problem is ich, all fish in the tank will need treatment and the tank will need to be fallow for 6 to 8 weeks to insure the ich is eliminated.

Let's confirm the diagnosis first since the copper treatment will require a bit more effort to implement.

Copper Power or Coppersafe will be the recommended medication. If you don't have it, I suggest you get some to have on hand. A;lso, read the link below on QT for additional advice if you are not familiar with the protocol we recommend.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
is there a presence yet of these spots?
A lot of description but could really use pics or video under white lighting. Additionally, I agree, product used is rendered useless in marine as its a FW product and even in freshwater somewhat ineffective.
Is fish eating?
Breathing normal or labored?
Eyes clear or cloudy ?

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a presence yet of these spots?
A lot of description but could really use pics or video under white lighting. Additionally, I agree, product used is rendered useless in marine as its a FW product and even in freshwater somewhat ineffective.
Is fish eating?
Breathing normal or labored?
Eyes clear or cloudy ?

Attachments

• C0DAB334-1725-47DF-82BA-7374E8A10DD1.jpeg
    C0DAB334-1725-47DF-82BA-7374E8A10DD1.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 9AA82E4F-2556-4615-A73D-775757A3F62C.jpeg
    9AA82E4F-2556-4615-A73D-775757A3F62C.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 24
  • A0EEC9FA-8240-44A8-9B03-5E96D63AB5A9.jpeg
    A0EEC9FA-8240-44A8-9B03-5E96D63AB5A9.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 24
  • D4D65071-D4A4-47AF-986B-89847D8F479B.jpeg
    D4D65071-D4A4-47AF-986B-89847D8F479B.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything on him anymore. He had spots on his fins there gone. All he’s doing now is scratching. I know flukes do that but I thought with flukes you don’t see many spots. He’s eating and acting normal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t see anything on him anymore. He had spots on his fins there gone. All he’s doing now is scratching. I know flukes do that but I thought with flukes you don’t see many spots. He’s eating and acting normal.
I do see fin ray damage which should heal and a little on tail.
Unless they are on the glass, I see a couple of dots on facial area which could be sand.
Is this a quarantine tank?
Keep an eye for re-emergence of dots but also focus on good water quality monitoring with Good/reliable test kits.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty positive he had spots all over his fins when I say all over I don’t mean velvet just enough to know it’s ich not sand or white blotches. It was just on his fins. He wasn’t scratching I started treating him and of course he started scratching.
So no breaks do this today? Also copper power should be dosed over three days correct? I’m also mixing pellets with selcon and garlic he’s still eating.
I would say it’s pretty mild ich outbreak
Do the water change and then start the copper up and get to a full dose in 24 hours.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I’ll use the copper power calculator.
You also need to test the copper level and not just rely on a volume calculator.
Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to test the copper level and not just rely on a volume calculator.
Jay
I know I’ve noticed the calculator seems to be low. I had the Hanna copper checker worked once then it crapped out was giving me false readings. I have the api kit I just need to be really really careful

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back