Nh3 or nh3+nh4

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Started my cycle using dr tims, I have been using the redsea multi test kit. The test kit shows nh3+nh4, wheres my alternative salifert test only shows nh3, therefore im getting different values for both of the tests. In the instructions it says to dose more ammonia when the nitrites and ammonia are below 1ppm. However im not sure at which value to look at, the only nh3 or nh3+nh4

The nh3+nh4 value is showing at around 2ppm
And the nh3 only is showing at around 0.25ppm

Hoping to hear your views on this

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Started my cycle using dr tims, I have been using the redsea multi test kit. The test kit shows nh3+nh4, wheres my alternative salifert test only shows nh3, therefore im getting different values for both of the tests. In the instructions it says to dose more ammonia when the nitrites and ammonia are below 1ppm. However im not sure at which value to look at, the only nh3 or nh3+nh4

The nh3+nh4 value is showing at around 2ppm
And the nh3 only is showing at around 0.25ppm

Hoping to hear your views on this
I don’t understand the point of dosing it again personally. Once ammonia comes down I think you’re done. Multiple dosing with ammonia appears to cause more problems than it could possibly solve. Perhaps it may be a benefit if you’re gonna throw crap loads of fish in at the beginning, but who does that?

OP
OP
V

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. But back to my concern, would you measure nh3+nh4 or only consider the nh3 during the cycle process? as both of them are bringing different results.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back