OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1518455683.390640.jpg

Finally got my apex after waiting a very long time filled with saving and hoping to grab one but didn’t have the chance. Got mine in today at my local shop, coral reef connection! Love the looks of it so far

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus that particle board is 3/4 thick. Same used on the walls of houses in my part of the world.

Yes, OSB is used for wall and roof sheeting but then it should be wrapped or covered with a material that will prevent water infiltration (water-resistant barrier). OSB will suck up water (so will plywood) so be careful on the amount of water spilling. Structurally you should be fine but water can cause the OSB to swell or cup.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, OSB is used for wall and roof sheeting but then it should be wrapped or covered with a material that will prevent water infiltration (water-resistant barrier). OSB will suck up water (so will plywood) so be careful on the amount of water spilling. Structurally you should be fine but water can cause the OSB to swell or cup.

Theoretically how would water get under the tank?

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy path of least resistance. But honestly OSB is fine but plywood is better.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1518567958.562885.jpg

Cycling is going well. Should only be a mini cycle since this rock has been cycling for about 5 1/2 weeks now. Enjoying the process anyway. Just wanna get my fish to the new house

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1518647605.682341.jpg

Looking good with the rockscape and lights. Very pleased with the 83 pounds of dry rock I got. Plus they have been cycling for weeks so they don’t look paper white which is good. I think dry rock is the way to go for me now as long as I can be patient enough to cycle it lol

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m having trouble with my apex. My heater is in my fourth outlet and the settings are on at 78.9 and off at 79.9 yet the temp probe reads 76.4. Shouldn’t the heater bring it up? I’ve been running it all night and it’s stayed very much the same. It’s a 250 aquatic heater for a 180g tank so I think it’s at least sufficient. Any tips on this one?

U

User1

View Badges
I am using a titanium Finnex 500 Watt in my 210 and that has the water temp moving and holding steady. Prior to that it wasn't happening. Also I have mine plugged into the same port on my Apex. It is set to Auto. I did add the heater though just to make sure using the tasks menu just to be sure. It is working and holding steady.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a titanium Finnex 500 Watt in my 210 and that has the water temp moving and holding steady. Prior to that it wasn't happening. Also I have mine plugged into the same port on my Apex. It is set to Auto. I did add the heater though just to make sure using the tasks menu just to be sure. It is working and holding steady.

Yeah I was thinking about adding a 500w finnex. I have 2 250w aquatops on right now

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1519004581.747563.jpg
Image1519004592.239931.jpg

Not much traction on this post but I’m gonna keep updating anyway!

New corals from my local lfs looking incredible. Love the way the ATI bulbs just blast the coral with life and color!

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New coral today. Had this sunfire grafted monti in my dads tank for the past couple weeks, and the sps is just a test piece of some red acropora. Excited to see these grow out!
Image1519268601.767430.jpg

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update today. Didn’t seat my bulkheads on my return or drain lines properly so I had to drain the water below them and reseat them all with a good amount of silicone to completely seal them off. Let them dry over night and no leaks so far so I’m glad I did it. Had some steady drips from my faulty setup before. All is good now and coral health is excellent so far with good PE on my two tester SPS frags. Hoping the grafted monti grows soon, I love the swirly look on it already!

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to eventually add a reefbrite 60inch strip to add some more blue to my ATI 8 bulb. Any recommendations on this strategy or DIY options that work just as well?

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to use anything on the other side of the tank to create more flow? I am getting ready to do a peninsula build as well and was thinking about running my returns to the opposite end of the tank through the stand. I know you didn't have that option but just wondering what your solution is going to be for flow, if needed.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :)

I'm sort of 'with' the guy calling out the OSB... I just don't have any faith in it. It would appear that your stand structure is plenty solid enough, but even high humidity can cause OSB to expand and warp. Don't get me wrong, it'll likely be just fine... heck, most of the commercial stands you buy are at least partly constructed with OSB or particle board. My stand structure is steel, but the top is 3/4" oak plywood, with 2 coats of marine epoxy, and a 1/4" thick coat of two part bar epoxy over the exposed surface. Ok, so maybe I went overboard a bit... but I _know_ it's going to hold up :)

How far is your peninsula from the back wall? Hard to see in the photos, but it doesn't look like they're much room on that side. I have a peninsula as well, I left 30" behind the stand... 40 " from the tank itself (I have a 10" shelf surrounding the tank), and sometimes I wish I'd come out a bit further. Too late now... my design would _not_ allow for an easy move. I may end up building a sort of narrow 'bench' back there, lift top for storage, padded seat... Not sure yet, we'll see what I end up with.

Looks like your T5 is a bit shorter than the tank... I did the same thing, a 4' light over a 5' tank, though I think my tank may be a bit wider than yours. I looked at 60" lights, but the BRS160 (5' light over 6' tank) made me look at a bit shorter light. Saved a few bucks, anyway. The 8 bulb T5 is _plenty_ of light, for whatever you might want to grow.

Flow is a challenge in long peninsula tanks. I tried every which way to avoid it, but ended up with a wave pump on the outside end of the tank. I just couldn't find a way to get the flow I wanted without it.

Keep up the build thread... I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it all!

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to use anything on the other side of the tank to create more flow? I am getting ready to do a peninsula build as well and was thinking about running my returns to the opposite end of the tank through the stand. I know you didn't have that option but just wondering what your solution is going to be for flow, if needed.

Going to be adding a gyre on the opposite side hopefully soon but so far the mp40 is pushing a ton of flow: my return is right around x15 Times the volume

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :)

I'm sort of 'with' the guy calling out the OSB... I just don't have any faith in it. It would appear that your stand structure is plenty solid enough, but even high humidity can cause OSB to expand and warp. Don't get me wrong, it'll likely be just fine... heck, most of the commercial stands you buy are at least partly constructed with OSB or particle board. My stand structure is steel, but the top is 3/4" oak plywood, with 2 coats of marine epoxy, and a 1/4" thick coat of two part bar epoxy over the exposed surface. Ok, so maybe I went overboard a bit... but I _know_ it's going to hold up :)

How far is your peninsula from the back wall? Hard to see in the photos, but it doesn't look like they're much room on that side. I have a peninsula as well, I left 30" behind the stand... 40 " from the tank itself (I have a 10" shelf surrounding the tank), and sometimes I wish I'd come out a bit further. Too late now... my design would _not_ allow for an easy move. I may end up building a sort of narrow 'bench' back there, lift top for storage, padded seat... Not sure yet, we'll see what I end up with.

Looks like your T5 is a bit shorter than the tank... I did the same thing, a 4' light over a 5' tank, though I think my tank may be a bit wider than yours. I looked at 60" lights, but the BRS160 (5' light over 6' tank) made me look at a bit shorter light. Saved a few bucks, anyway. The 8 bulb T5 is _plenty_ of light, for whatever you might want to grow.

Flow is a challenge in long peninsula tanks. I tried every which way to avoid it, but ended up with a wave pump on the outside end of the tank. I just couldn't find a way to get the flow I wanted without it.

Keep up the build thread... I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it all!

Thanks man, I have 18 inches behind my pennisula which is what I designed. Sure I could use more room but I can still walk behind it just fine so it’s all good on that end. So far for flow the vortechs have blown me away with the length they can reach. I’m loving them. Also the osb literally is only there for my own ascetic purposes and I just liked the look of a finished black stand. I’m sure I’ll be okay with warping due to the shear weight of the tank but thanks for the input!

The T5’s put out so much power I love them! I need to borrow a par meter from someone local to me to get some actual measurements.

Thanks for all your input!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back