OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how this Blasto is still alive with all those angelfish. I guess it's tucked away surrounded by sps.
original.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they frags or colony? Frags are more likely to not able to recover from the nipping. Also, what's the tank size and how many SPS you have. The more SPS you have, the better since it gives them time to recover before the angel gets back to nipping it again.

I HAD a lot of mature colonies. It's a 150 gal. Only 3 colonies have been able to hold up. I feed extremely heavy too. It sucks. They're the nicest flames I've ever seen

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you need more angels to keep them in check. ;Hilarious
I HAD a lot of mature colonies. It's a 150 gal. Only 3 colonies have been able to hold up. I feed extremely heavy too. It sucks. They're the nicest flames I've ever seen

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I haven't seen this system in a long time. It looks great! I love it when I see others keeping angels in their reefs. Your choices are terrific. Surprised to see the euphyllia doing great in there! And the blasto too.

I had an annularis in my sps dominant reef and it was very well behaved (to coral). It grew from 1.5" to 7.5" in about 10 months! Very fast grower. Now, I have a blueface that has grown much slower. It is also a very good reef inhabitant and I have never noticed it picking at any sps. This is true for frags or large colonies. Originally wanted to keep two large angels but I may just stick to the one. A pygmy is possible but would likely be either a multibar or Potters.

Have always liked the mandarins but feared they would not do well with fast moving fishes. You have shown the exact opposite here. I will have to reconsider getting one or two!!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a sweet tank! Love the variety of fish too. You get polyp extension with all those angels in there?

Here's my Diablo acropora before and after angelfish. This is pretty representative of polyp extension before and after angelfish in all the large colony in my tank.
I think the important fact is that I grew the SPS frags into decent colonies before adding angelfish. If I were to start off with all 1" frag right now with the angels I have, I would struggle I think.
Before. June 2017
original.jpg

Today with all the angelfish
original.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, some of the colonies I have in my tank are huge. The Pink table acro is probably around 16". I'm not a fan of fragging and selling and fill the tank up with more frags. I rather have the acro grow into their natural form and shape. It's more rewarding IMO.
Pink table when I got it as a frag back in October 2014
original.jpg

Today. I have given up taking picture through the acrylic box since the colony would not fit in it. :D
original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I haven't seen this system in a long time. It looks great! I love it when I see others keeping angels in their reefs. Your choices are terrific. Surprised to see the euphyllia doing great in there! And the blasto too.

I had an annularis in my sps dominant reef and it was very well behaved (to coral). It grew from 1.5" to 7.5" in about 10 months! Very fast grower. Now, I have a blueface that has grown much slower. It is also a very good reef inhabitant and I have never noticed it picking at any sps. This is true for frags or large colonies. Originally wanted to keep two large angels but I may just stick to the one. A pygmy is possible but would likely be either a multibar or Potters.

Have always liked the mandarins but feared they would not do well with fast moving fishes. You have shown the exact opposite here. I will have to reconsider getting one or two!!

Yup, Euphillia are perfectly fine with my angels.
I would love to have a pair of Multibar angels. I think they're one of the best looking dwarf angel. I tried a pair from LA but couldn't get them to eat in the holding tank so I haven't tried since. I think they're even harder to get to eat than a Regal angelfish.
Mandarins are more hardy than people realized when they have an abundant amount of food source. They're peaceful fish but I don't think they're that slow moving.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back