OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While all the work was happening downstairs. Upstairs, in our family room, resided an Elos 160XL that was kept for more than 2 years before transferring to the current tank.
original.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely incredible in all aspects! Love it! I'm planning a similar tank but you've convinced me to go deeper front to back than worry as much about length. Of all my many questions... How do you keep all sides of the glass clean and how often do you clean it?!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Deeper is better to a certain extent. You can probably get away with 48" deep and 27" high. Anything higher can be difficult to place rocks and corals. But heck, you really should only have to do it once right? :p
The key for clean glass is to keep your rock work at least 4" from the glass. It's much easier to clean and when things are easy, you tend to do it more often. I clean the glass once a week with a largest Tunze Caremagnet available.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread and a beautiful tank. How much do you figure you saved by finishing the basement yourself?

Arrick_L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but did the movers have to move the tank down stairs at all or is the basement on the ground level?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No steps. It's a walk out basement. That was understood with the movers.

I may have missed it but did the movers have to move the tank down stairs at all or is the basement on the ground level?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW!! Just WOW!!! That's a beautiful reef!!

Narcosis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Nick!

Awesome tank dude, great work. Massive fan of the angels and aquascape! Any favourite fish in there?

I was quite surprised as well. Admittedly, I thought two MP60 would do. But when I got the units in hand and try to place them, I notice there's a big problem with the tank set up with the MP60s. The overflow box is too wide forcing me to place the MP60 way too close to the side glass. The flow I got was unsatisfactory. I order two 6255s to replaced them and was shocked that the LPS at the other end of the tank were almost peeling off due to the strong flow. I backed it off to about 30-40% and they seems to push plenty of flow. I think these pumps would handle a 8' tank no problem.
I had holes drilled on the eurobraced on the other end just in case I need to return some flow on that side but ended up not needing it.
My return is a Vextra L1 running at 50%.
What flow mode do you have on the two pumps?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's very hard to pick out a favorite fish. Everyone has their own unique attractiveness.
I'm a huge fan of Regal Angelfish especially the yellow belly ones. The color is just vibrant.
The Interrupta angelfish purple speckles are just a sight to see under the right light angle.
I can't decide on Powder Blue or Powder Brown so I have both. :)
One yellow tang might not make a statement, but 5 of them will definitely make a statement with their bright yellow color. Not a lot of corals are yellow, so when you have a group of yellow tangs, they definitely make the color of your tank pop.
Chromis are simple but they fill up the higher part of the reef tank pretty nicely.
Anthias fill up the high to mid part of the tank.
Wrasses fill up the mid and bottom of the tank.
The clowns will provide much entertainment with their host anemone. Especially when they breed. You can watch the egg laying process and hatching and it will never get old.
My best accomplishment so far gotta be keeping a mandarin fat and healthy. I've tried this fish in my early days of reefing and was not able to sustain it. So keeping one for more than 4 months and seeing it out swimming in the water column with a big belly is very rewarding.

Hello Nick!

Awesome tank dude, great work. Massive fan of the angels and aquascape! Any favourite fish in there?

What flow mode do you have on the two pumps?

I hooked up the two tunze to each other via a Tunze sync cable and use the Anti Sync Pulse mode on their built in controller.

Narcosis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's very hard to pick out a favorite fish. Everyone has their own unique attractiveness.
I'm a huge fan of Regal Angelfish especially the yellow belly ones. The color is just vibrant.
The Interrupta angelfish purple speckles are just a sight to see under the right light angle.
I can't decide on Powder Blue or Powder Brown so I have both. :)
One yellow tang might not make a statement, but 5 of them will definitely make a statement with their bright yellow color. Not a lot of corals are yellow, so when you have a group of yellow tangs, they definitely make the color of your tank pop.
Chromis are simple but they fill up the higher part of the reef tank pretty nicely.
Anthias fill up the high to mid part of the tank.
Wrasses fill up the mid and bottom of the tank.
The clowns will provide much entertainment with their host anemone. Especially when they breed. You can watch the egg laying process and hatching and it will never get old.
My best accomplishment so far gotta be keeping a mandarin fat and healthy. I've tried this fish in my early days of reefing and was not able to sustain it. So keeping one for more than 4 months and seeing it out swimming in the water column with a big belly is very rewarding.

Haha I totally understand,. its very easy to make a case for every fish being the favourite isnt it!

Well congrats again on a very beautiful, healthy reef :)

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the tank and a reef ain’t a reef without some angels! Lol honestly though your tank and fish/coral selection is on point.

luis carreiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to thank Nick for letting me come by and see his beautiful tank this weekend and pick his brain. Truly an inspiring tank. I got some great ideas for my new build. Loved seeing the 3 Regal angels- one of my favorite fish. Thanks again.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lou,
It was great to have you come by and check out the system. I hope you got some good insight and ideas for your new build. Let me know if you have any other question.
Remember, Keep it as Simple as possible is key for long term success in this hobby.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job and like you I've never really done construction. Amazed by your progress and craftsmanship. Tank looks awesome as well...I'm a nem nerd and love the look of the Gigs...have you had any issues with fish losses from the Gigs?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back