OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any issue with Giganteas capturing and eating fish or snails. My favorite type of clown is the plain old True Percula and giganteas are their natural host. This makes it easy for me since giganteas do not move as much as other anemones. They do get very large though.
I have had other types of anemones in the past and my experiment which each is either they move too often or they eat snails. Giganteas are the only anemones that I will keep in a reef tank.
Red Haddoni: Beautiful and once found a happy spot, it stays put. However, it's a snails eating machine. I did not have any issue with fish, but every week or so, I see a snail shell being spit out. Under its pedal is a snails graveyard.
RBTA: I love this simple and hardy anemone. However, no one seems to know how to make it bubble as the name suggest. It will be bubbled when first introduce to the tank. After it's comfy, all the tentacles will be elongated. Move around the tank for no reason and can be prolific with their splitting.
Sabae: Nice anemone when it's white(bleach), once comfy, it turns into an ugly grey color. Natural host for Maroon clowns but Maroons get too aggressive.
Magnifica: I'm 50/50 on this one. Some day I like it, some day I don't. Hard to find a place to settle. One crawl into my overflow and overflow the tank. Makes the black on Percula Clown turns gray.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While all the work was happening downstairs. Upstairs, in our family room, resided an Elos 160XL that was kept for more than 2 years before transferring to the current tank.
original.jpg
Impressive

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While all the work was happening downstairs. Upstairs, in our family room, resided an Elos 160XL that was kept for more than 2 years before transferring to the current tank.
original.jpg

I really, really, really love this reef!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The old and the new that is. :)

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Since a couple of you have quoted my Elos 160XL, I just want to make it clear that this tank is no longer exist and was transferred to the current Miracle 360G. :D

I just got a Blueline Angelfish from a local member's tank breakdown last night. It was too nice and healthy to see it goes to the store.
Will have some pictures later.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so nice!!

What parameters are you aiming for? Also are you dosing anything besides for alk and calc?

How do you keep your sand so clean??

Also, what is your lighting schedule?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the angels from eating your Coral? I’ve always been told angels will eat most coral and have seen it happen.

Hi David,
Angels are tough. You really have to use between them and your fleshy LPS. Before the angels, the main tank had acans, acanthrophyllia, open brain, scoly, chalice. These corals have been moved to their own tank that is connected to the system. You can get a glimpse of this tank in the updated video.
The angels are fine with Euphyliia and SPS. They don't nip on the Euphyllia for some reason but they do nip on the SPS every now and then. It's nothing the SPS can't handle. Just less polyps extension. I read that in the wild, polyps on SPS is nonexistent. They get pecked on by different fish all the time. As long as they(the polyps) come out at night and feed, it's perfectly fine.
It would be really hard for me to have a tank without angelfish at this point.

so nice!!

What parameters are you aiming for? Also are you dosing anything besides for alk and calc?

How do you keep your sand so clean??

Also, what is your lighting schedule?

Thanks! My parameters are
ALK:8dKH
CA: 420ppm
MG: 1400ppm

The sand is kept clean by a pack of 7 fighting conches. And I do find that flow also plays a very important role in keeping the sand clean. Obviously, you don't want the sand to be blowing around, but you do want enough flow on the sand. I guess it's hard to explain but if a piece of small food made it onto the sand, if it's not being blown, you don't have enough flow on the sand.

My lighting is 3x250W Radiums and 2x80W ATI Blue PLus and 2x80W Geisemann. The Blue and the actinic come on an hour before and turn off an hour after the radiums. They are on for 9 hours. The Radiums are on for 7 hours.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Good thing I just ordered 4 conchs for my 180 gallon dt, along with a diamond goby so hopefully they will do a good job. I have a ton of flow and food never settles there so I am interested to see what happens when I add this guys

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get to the Blueline, here are a couple pictures that I took and that I like tonight.

I have a harem of 8 Lyretail anthias. This Super Male is quite the Alpha of the pack. Keeps everyone under control.
original.jpg

I love Chromis. Reason being they fill the upper part of the tank and take it look like a natural reef. I haven't found anything that would consistently hang out in the upper section of the tank like they do.
This is a Blue Reef Chromis. The blue is iridescent
original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the new addition. I picked it up last night from a local member. Spunky little guy. I tried to handle it with my hand after the acclimation but its jumping and resistance, my thumb was stabbed by its gill spine. Had to use the net.
original.jpg

Some scuff marks can be seen from the transfer.
original.jpg

I think it's the largest fish in the tank at around 6". I know the sailfin would be larger if it's fully flared, but just the body, the Blueline is the largest at the moment. I have no doubt the sailfin will outgrow it like it has outgrew everything else.
So far so good with its new tank mates.
original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my bio-load is getting to be up there but I think I will get another Blueline to pair it. I really enjoy a pair of fish interacting with each other.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, very nice reef! Lots of inspiration here for sure. Love the videos. Well done!
Group_Bow_zps6c788f33.gif

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back