Nick's 360 Gallons Reef Tank with Angels

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, let’s start with the tank. The tank was delivered October of 2015. Other than the initial inspection, it was crated back up and has been sitting in my garage.

Tank dimension is 72”x48”x24” and holds ~360gallons. It was built by Miracle. Miracle also made the stand for it. The tank is built as a peninsula set up. Large external overflow with 3 drain(planning on doing a Bean overflow). Two returns from the overflow side and 4 return holes from the opposite side. Starfire on all viewable side.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the aquascape. I've gave a lot of thoughts as to how to aquascape this. It's a peninsula tank with 3 view-able sides. And with such a wide tank, all the 3 sides need to appealing. I always like the two island idea. However, with this tank, it will look just like two piles of rocks.
One day, while cleaning my office desk, I noticed the traveling book of Hawaii. I thought of doing the Hawaiian Islands right away. But to get the whole thing in the tank, the tank will need to be pretty long. I've been to Maui a couple times so I zoomed into the map and came up with Maui and the surrounding islands of Molaka'i, Lanai, Kaho'olawe.
The stretch looks like this and this is what I followed.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

With some water
original.jpg

original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water was filled in November of 2016.
Currently running Giesmann 72" Spectra with the following combination. I think the T5 ballast in the Spectra is over driving the T5. I've never seen Blue Plus being this white.
3x250W Radium
2x80W Giesmann Super Actinic
2x80W ATI Blue Plus
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running empty for ~3 weeks. In December 2016, the livestock has been transferred into the tank from a previous thank.

I shouldn't have taken pictures with the feeding being active since it draws all the fish to one side of the tank.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
original.jpg

original.jpg

One of the most underrated fish in this hobby.
original.jpg

And my biggest accomplishment in this hobby and most rewarding. I've kept this fat and healthy for 3 months now. Always pecking on the sand and rocks and out swimming. Beautiful fish!
original.jpg

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nice to see you do a built thread. I saw your videos on YouTube earlier this year and they were inspirational! Ended up buying a 96x36x24tall tank through miracles. Great build quality. Got it set up a couple months ago.

Being able to get your regal angels to pair up and seeing them do so well is awesome. They are my bucket list fish. Saw a pair when I was snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef off Cairns. So cool to see your tank. Great work!!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back