DIYreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Can't wait to hear your feedback. Please keep me updated.

So, it took me a while to finally get my lighting set up over the new frag tank but I'm happy to say that it's FINALLY done. I haven't played with the nicrew controller much yet, but so far, so good. It will indeed control 10x50w hyperreef led's. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the nicrew controller controls the lights in 5% Increments where as the kessil does so in 1% Increments. I'll add more feedback once I start doing some programming.

Attachments

• 20220616_190936.jpg
    20220616_190936.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 25

EricR

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
So, it took me a while to finally get my lighting set up over the new frag tank but I'm happy to say that it's FINALLY done. I haven't played with the nicrew controller much yet, but so far, so good. It will indeed control 10x50w hyperreef led's. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the nicrew controller controls the lights in 5% Increments where as the kessil does so in 1% Increments. I'll add more feedback once I start doing some programming.
Wow ... Very nice DIY lighting overhang (for lack of a better word)!

FWIW,,, I used an old Kessil Spectral controller (model A) to control (individually) a couple of mis-matched LEDs, including a Nicrew HyperReef for a while so will just note the following...

While Kessil controller ramped smoothly in 1% increments (as you mentioned):
-- Nicrew HyperReef LED worked but not perfectly ... almost as if the smooth voltage swing wasn't what it was expecting
-- While, simultaneously, Kessil LED worked perfectly (obviously)

***just mentioning as food for thought into perhaps why the Nicrew controller (which looks like some form of knock-off from the Kessil) does 5% jumps,,, if I read that correctly

BRS

DIYreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
While performing the first water change for my new frag/growout tank I noticed something about the nicrew controller. While it does indeed only let you program in 5% Increments, it ramps up/down smoothly throughout the photo period. That stated, it's more like the Kessil controller than I thought it was.

20220618_172810.jpg

RevRich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
While performing the first water change for my new frag/growout tank I noticed something about the nicrew controller. While it does indeed only let you program in 5% Increments, it ramps up/down smoothly throughout the photo period. That stated, it's more like the Kessil controller than I thought it was.

20220618_172810.jpg
Keep the updates coming. They are greatly appreciated!!

Smoke-Town

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
20220628_194803.jpg
just got my nicrew 100w for this star polyp nsa I wanted to remove from my reef. It's on a jbj 15g aio. This light is amazing for the price. Wish I knew about the controllerbefore searching for better controls... will order that today.

I was shocked at the monstrous size of this (my own fault, I'm sure the dimensions and weight are on the sale page)... but I expected it to be similar size and weight to my hydra 32s... this thing is easily twice the size and weight.

The mount is supposed to be used on glass 6mm and thicker... this jbj is 5mm so I might need to figure out some more support or a different mounting option. In hindsight I would have grabbed the 50w for this if I had known. So keep that glass thickness in mind before ordering for small tanks. All in all its an amazing light for the price. Will probably get 3 more eventually for a large future tank and then replace this one with a 50w

REEFTIDE

How close to perfect, for you, is your reef aquarium?

• IT'S PERFECT NOW

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • It's getting close

Votes: 60 14.6%
  • It's about half way there

Votes: 75 18.2%
  • It's slow but progressing

Votes: 125 30.4%
  • It's not even close

Votes: 124 30.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.7%