Nigaloo Clam for Sale on DD

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the both of you luck.

Water was 71 degrees with mine... not bad.
What was your acclimation protocol? I've never bought a larger wild clam so I've always been pretty rough on the cultured ones I bring in. Straight into FW bath for 5 mins then straight into holding tank. Sorry to hear yours isn't looking so good today. Fingers crossed it turns the corner and pulls through.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just called liveaquaria to request shipping in an extra large box and with an extra heating pad for safely. Unfortunately the clam shipped a few hours ago. The rep said she would have been happy to request an extra large shipping box and extra heat pad at no charge if it hadn't already shipped. She also emphasized that they honor their warranty for 14 days. The only request was to take a picture of the shell if it dies.

Liveaquaria also said that if I did end up with a DOA, that I may want to consider trying their ORA clams with the credit since those ship directly from ORA right out of Florida. Good to know but I'm still hoping mine shows up in good shape.

The rep also wanted to mention that I need to burp the clam well to get any air bubbles out of its mantle that may have occurred during shipping. Speaking of which, I've only had one clam before so what other tips are there for clam QT and acclimation?

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was nervous last night after finding this thread but fortunately my shipment turned out fine. The picture below is really grainy so I'll pull out a decent camera later and try again.

This isn't a nigaloo but is a squamose clam. Its a bright blue with dark blue streaks throughout. It arrived this afternoon in a large, oversized shipping box. The warmer pack was still warm and so was the water. Shipping time from Wisconsin to Florida was about 24 hours door to door. Its been about a 3 hours since starting the acclimation and a couple of hours in the display. Seems happy.

0F0BDF62-DA31-4CD0-BB7C-61E2D4C288E7.jpeg

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was nervous last night after finding this thread but fortunately my shipment turned out fine. The picture below is really grainy so I'll pull out a decent camera later and try again.

This isn't a nigaloo but is a squamose clam. Its a bright blue with dark blue streaks throughout. It arrived this afternoon in a large, oversized shipping box. The warmer pack was still warm and so was the water. Shipping time from Wisconsin to Florida was about 24 hours door to door. Its been about a 3 hours since starting the acclimation and a couple of hours in the display. Seems happy.

0F0BDF62-DA31-4CD0-BB7C-61E2D4C288E7.jpeg

Did it have a white growth margin on its shell? I bought a blue squammy from DD few months ago and it cleary had not grown in a long time. It took mabye 6 weeks before finally dying.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what's going on over their. Do they have a system loaded with protozoa infested clams? I wonder how much they loose before they sell. Sorry for the loss.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the protozoan infested ones (mostly the larger Tahitians) take 4-8 months to die. This 48 hours stuff baffles me. Whatever they are doing, I think that the shipment is the final straw that finishes the clam off. The changed so many things when Petco bought them, that there is no way to know for sure.

I have gotten ORA clams from them before with some frags that I got from Divers Den - in the same box from Wisconsin. At least that shipment did not come direct from ORA... which could be impossible with the divers den WYSIWYG stuff? The photos look like they are in the LA tanks with the black sand and stuff.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the protozoan infested ones (mostly the larger Tahitians) take 4-8 months to die. This 48 hours stuff baffles me. Whatever they are doing, I think that the shipment is the final straw that finishes the clam off. The changed so many things when Petco bought them, that there is no way to know for sure.

I have gotten ORA clams from them before with some frags that I got from Divers Den - in the same box from Wisconsin. At least that shipment did not come direct from ORA... which could be impossible with the divers den WYSIWYG stuff? The photos look like they are in the LA tanks with the black sand and stuff.

I'm pretty sure to get the ORA direct stuff you have to select the ORA menu and add it to your cart from there. Bottom right of the choices, as opposed to DD being the upper left.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm with you and believe about the shipping finishing them off. I also wonder how long they are in their system and when they take the photos, etc. So many questions but getting the answers are probably never going to happen. It's a shame for sure.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks. What an incredible clam. I too have had absolutely dismal success with LA stuff. Never again, but that clam would have gotten my interest for sure as well.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any theory’s about what is going on with DD? I also had bad experience(s) with their clams.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just saw this thread. I am the person that bought the other Ningaloo clam. Lasted just over 14 days. Figures. When it came in the foot was damaged. It had been attached to a rock and shipped in the bag with the rock which probably because of being bounced around during shipment, tore the rock with the foot off. I called immediately but was told since it was alive that it would fall under the 14 day arrive alive, stay alive warranty. It wasn't just the filaments, it was actual damage to the clam. Expensive mistake.
IMG_8022[1].JPG IMG_8023[1].JPG

clam foot 2.JPG

clam foot.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back