Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger, Red Tooth triggerfish / Odonus niger

skinz78-albums-r2r-fish-database-triggers-picture16278-scan0005.jpg

Scientific name - Odonus niger

Common name – Niger, Red Tooth triggerfish

Size - 12 in (30.5 cm)

Min. Aquarium size - 100 gal (378.5 L)

Foods and feeding - The Niger Triggerfish is a carnivore and should be feed a wide variety of high quality meaty marine foods. Vegetables should also be offered. Occasionally snails or hermit crabs should be offered to keep the beak of the Trigger worn down.

Reef compatibility – With caution, it may nip or eat invertebrates.

Captive care - They are semi-aggressive so they should not be kept with more docile, delicate fish. Larger tanks will keep aggression to a minimum. They are some of the more docile Triggers. May go after any hands placed in the tank so caution should be used around this fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not correct. Max size is 20", not 12". Also not one of the more docile triggers. Correct information is absolutely critical when you are giving advice to a mass of hobbyists, guys.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jaytizzle can you point me in a direction that backs up what you say? I have yet to find any info that coincides with your claims.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all my triggers I have owned, and I have owned alot of them, my niger was by far the most docile. Everything I read above seems on point with my research and experience with that fish. Also, while a Niger trigger may reach 19 or even 20 inches in the wild, I have never seen one over 12 inches in captivity and they are usually offered for sale at about 3 to 6 inches.

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Marine Fishes," by Scott W. Michael, which is considered one of the best books, on the subject of Marine Fishes, does classify the size of Odonus niger, as 19.7". The book also goes on to state,
An excellent aquarium fish, relatively peaceful.....

Under the "Using This Guide" portion of this book, the definition of Maximum Length is:

This indicates the greatest length than an individual of that particular species can attain--or the longest every reported--measuring from the end of the snout to the tip of the tail. In most cases, the length of a specimen will fall short of this measure, but the aquarist should always plan for the prospect of his or her fish reaching a maximum length close to that presented.

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a niger to my 125 a few weeks back and he has been the perfect gentleman since his arrival. Very docile guy, now obviously one could say that he just isn't comfortable in the tank yet but so far he has been great. May even post a few pics if I can get some decent shots.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a few months until I lost him. He was around 3" and was one of the bigger fish in my tank. I think I lost him because he wasn't getting enough to eat since he wouldn't challenge any of the other fish in the tank. He was definitely a big baby but I've heard they can get aggressive when they get larger but every fish is different.

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about yours Gar. Our guy has no issue with challenging others in the tank for food but is far from aggressive about it, just holds his own to get his fair share and we also feed him after everyone else has eaten too. Depending on the day he gets a variety, everything from a square of frozen mysis to shrimp or large krill. He has no issue with coming to the top and eating from the tongs holding his meal. Surprisingly gentle about it there too.

Our camera stinks but here is our guy under the blues
P1010009.jpg
P1010010.jpg

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also heard many other stories of docile niger triggers. I had one for a few weeks that I had to get rid because he got super aggressive once he settled in. He was beating up a lionfish and a grouper. I guess each fish is an individual.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caudill, you're absolutely correct. Each fish has it's own, unique and individual personality. For the most part, Niger Triggers do fall into the more peaceful Triggers, compared to most Triggers. They may not be THE MOST peaceful, but are considered "peaceful," as Triggers go.

Also, a 20" specimen is going to be very rare. For the most part, 12" is going to be the maximum size, expected in captivity. I've recently spoke with a couple fish collectors, who dive in areas where the Niger Trigger is captured from. Neither have ever seen a Niger, even 12". Both said 10" is about the maximum size they've ever encountered.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back