Nitrate and phosphate 0

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates and and phosphates are zero and I think it’s because of hair algae but whenever I read phosphate before it was always zero. My corals are doing fine though. How do I get my phosphate and nitrate back up?

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear out the algae first. If you try raising your N and P with algae in the tank, you're only going to continue to feed it.
Yes, green hair algae. How do I rid of it

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, green hair algae. How do I rid of it
Turbo snails can clear it out, as long as it's not too long. You can pull as much by hand and let the snails take care of the rest. Depending on what's in your tank, there are other things you can do as well, such as turning off lights and doing a blackout for several days, or peroxide treatment.
Pic of the tank?

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails can clear it out, as long as it's not too long. You can pull as much by hand and let the snails take care of the rest. Depending on what's in your tank, there are other things you can do as well, such as turning off lights and doing a blackout for several days, or peroxide treatment.
Pic of the tank?
Might get some turbo snails but is there anything I could dose to get rid of it?

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, you can try fluxrx. I used it on a jbj45 and it cleared the hair algae, took 2 doses but it worked well. I had bryopsis in my frag tank, flux rx also cleared that out too, its reef safe too I think itll work well for you. Just remove carbon and turn off your skimmer. As far as 0 nutrients, I have 0 nitrate and very low phosphate (0.02-0.04) and I feed really heavily, I dose potassium nitrate now for nitrates, works really well. Good luck!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is too long the snails will not eat it. If you can't pull it short enough, you can turn off the pump, cut it short with scissors and scoop out what you cut off. If they still don't touch it because it's too thick, you can use a stiff brush, such as a firm toothbrush or nail brush, to scrub it a bit. Reef flux should work, but be patient. You probably won't see any change for at least a couple of days.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of advice....try natural solutions before you add chemicals to your tank. Hair algae are one of the few nuisance that are relatively easy to rid your tank of, as many mentioned snails are a great choice....for the real bad outbreaks Sea Hares are MVP's.
...but must be returned to the store when the job is done or they will starve to death

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sdot. I got rid of it by scrubbing the rocks and vacuuming two or three times a week. You can also turn your lights down for three days. Turn off the red, green and white entirely during this time. I had zero nitrate and low phosphate which set me up for the next problem - dinos! So, don't use chemicals yet. Turn your skimmer off periodically and add some more fish food.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys go about finding a good supply of snails that don't die off in 2 weeks? Maybe something in my water is hurting them. Have 2 tuxedo urchins over a year and doing well. Can't keep snails alive long at all, so my CUC is always missing.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt everything that goes in my tank so there's always a wait time before something can go into my tank, all the sites that qt fish are great but often times don't have the fish i want or need in stock. Feeding more wasn't doing anything for my tank so i decided to add potassium nitrate to raise nitrates, however, i do agree with everyone saying its best to add nitrates naturally, more fish, more food is always better. As for green hair algae, try the many solutions offered, but remember it gets better don't be discouraged your tank is still on the newer side!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals?

to be honest you need to work out why you have the algae with such a young tank, yes young tanks go through an ugly stage but yours sounds more than that.

You can fix it in many different ways but if you don’t fix the cause it will just happen again and will be much harder to fix with a tank full of fish and corals.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals?

to be honest you need to work out why you have the algae with such a young tank, yes young tanks go through an ugly stage but yours sounds more than that.

You can fix it in many different ways but if you don’t fix the cause it will just happen again and will be much harder to fix with a tank full of fish and corals.
Yes I have about 6 corals

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have about 6 corals

Probably best not dosing anything yet then, see how you go with manual removal, and a good cuc, it will take time though.

Really important to remove as much as possible as any that is left in the tank and dies will just release all the nutrients back into the water.

Use a small sand siphon, in the same hand pull the algae off and straight into the siphon. If possible better to remove the rock and scrub it off, your corals should be ok for a good few minutes out of water

Remember that your tests will be incorrect whilst the algae is there as it will be using the PO4 and the nitrates.

As said you really do need to work out how it got out of control to stop it happening again.

Hard to give exact advice as no picture or details on the tank for more individual advice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back