Nitrate DIY Dosing and Potassium DIY Dosing powders?

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to Start using do it yourself recipe to dose potassium and nitrate. I currently use bright well aquatics neo nitro and potassion.
It becomes expensive so I am looking for alternatives that are very pure and fully safe to use with mixing instructions for a stock solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to Start using do it yourself recipe to dose potassium and nitrate. I currently use bright well aquatics neo nitro and potassion.
It becomes expensive so I am looking for alternatives that are very pure and fully safe to use with mixing instructions for a stock solution.

For potassium, use potassium chloride, such as:

for nitrate, I'd use food grade or ACS AR (Reagent) grade sodium nitrate, such as:

There are lots of threads on DIY dosing, but we can guide for dosing if you don't see one.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Randy's advice. It's so cheap and it really works, better in my experience than the expensive pre made potions.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you mean potassium and not phosphate? If your potassium is low check your salt mix. Even with no water changes and large coral loads I've never seen potassium go down much.

I've had salt mixes test 100 and some test 400 for potassium.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your thoughts on potassium nitrate, and dose both, with just one product?

J.

If you need both potassium and nitrate, its OK (its complicated to control both when it is dosed in a fixed ratio), otherwise, I'd stick to sodium or calcium nitrate and potassium chloride (or potassium sulfate, if you can find it)

OP
OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sure you mean potassium and not phosphate? If your potassium is low check your salt mix. Even with no water changes and large coral loads I've never seen potassium go down much.

I've had salt mixes test 100 and some test 400 for potassium.
Yes I mean Potassium.

OP
OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy. I want to make 1 gallon stock solution to dose when needed.

Use this calculator.

For potassium from potassium chloride, use the entry for potassium from potassium nitrate, and make the stock solution using 3/4 of what it suggests (so 75 grams if it says 100 g).

For nitrate from sodium nitrate, use the entry for nitrate from potassium nitrate. it is close enough. To be super exacting, use 15% less than it says.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need both potassium and nitrate, its OK (its complicated to control both when it is dosed in a fixed ratio), otherwise, I'd stick to sodium or calcium nitrate and potassium chloride (or potassium sulfate, if you can find it)

cool, i have both calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate handy.

J.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back