Nitrate not going down??

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by waxhawreefer, Nov 1, 2017.

1. waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer Well-Known Member

ive been using the np pro and the pro bio S for two weeks, 4 drops each daily to try and lower my nitrates, which my test kit read around 8-10 from Red Sea test kit, but my ati icp test came back 16 ppm, can I up the dose?? Trying not to cut back on my feeding, I have allot of live rock and additional miracle mud and marine pure blocks and sphere in my sump, phosphate levels were reading .07 but after phosphate minus in my reactor it now reads 0.0!! Thx

Tags:

2. Mariners

Mariners Well-Known Member

I wouldnt add more as i hate using additives to reduce things. If its around 10-16 i wouldnt worry about it unless it gets real high like in the 40s to 80s. I would check for sources for nitrates instead—like your ro/di water (maybe time to change, check your tds), brand of salt, foods u are using to feed as some foods have more phosphates and such.

3. Anirban

Anirban Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

2 weeks is not enough it will take atleast a month or two to show the effect. Its bacterial driven and they take time to colonise and show effect. Also you need some PO4 to reduce NO3 as bacteria will need both.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Piranhapat

Piranhapat Well-Known Member

Like stated it takes time more in 6-8 week range. Water changes will help.

5. waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer Well-Known Member

Thx for the input, yes tds is still 0, water changing might be the answer, even though my checker reads 0.0 they do have a +\-.04 so I’m not too worried about not enough phosphate, I do have a few areas of green “turf” algae so if they are surviving I know my phosphate levels are still there,

Draft saved Draft deleted