Nitrate Spike - Dosing for Ich

qlcing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea how to get my nitrates down, my skimmer is off as I am dosing for a possible Ich outbreak.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea how to get my nitrates down, my skimmer is off as I am dosing for a possible Ich outbreak.
Ok, you lost me. Why is your skimmer off if you are dealing with ich? What is it you are dosing?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you lost me. Why is your skimmer off if you are dealing with ich? What is it you are dosing?

Probably dosing one of those "reef safe" ich treatments like Herbtana or Kick Ich. I think you're supposed to turn the skimmer off when using those.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @qlcing !!! Glad you joined us! If you didn't already get the welcome, you just introduced yourself to the.... #reefsquad

What are you dosing that would make you turn off your skimmer? We won't bite, at least not for real. Just pretend biting, none of us are that tough in here. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Answering this may help the group get to the reason why what is happening to your tank is happening.

But, simply answering your question, Todd already did (twilliard), the only thing that will immediately reduce nitrates is a water change. How high are they? Are there adverse effects you are seeing in your tank? How long does your skimmer have to be off? Can the skimmer be turned back on at all? What are your other parameters?

How do you know it is ich?

Either way, good luck @qlcing!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the connection between turning off skimmer and ich? I have never heard anything like this and I am curious.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back