Nitrate tester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will there ever be a Nitrate tester? I am not good at doing these manual tests and prefer using your products to give me a digital readout. Thanks

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will there ever be a Nitrate tester? I am not good at doing these manual tests and prefer using your products to give me a digital readout. Thanks

There really are not many options available for nitrate testing in seawater for the hobbyists market. Many nitrate in seawater reagents are not suitable for home usage or the equipment used in marine chemistry labs is too expensive for the average reef keeping enthusiast to own at home.

We do not have any testing solutions for Nitrate in seawater at this time. The HI96786 Nitrate Portable Photometer will not accurately work in seawater due to large amounts of chloride particles that interferes with the analysis

http://hannainst.com/nitrate-portable-photometer-hi96786.html

We are looking into Nitrate analysis in seawater but the problem is with many of the chemical methods available for nitrate testing. We analyze nitrate using an adaptation of the cadmium reduction method which interferes with Chloride particles at 100 ppm+. Seawater has over 19,000 ppm Chloride particles so mitigating that interference can be difficult to do with hobbyist/home use reagents.

Although test kits for nitrate in saltwater exist, it becomes difficult to do this digitally.

A nitrate Checker was worked on by our research and development department in the past but due to repeatability and accuracy concerns we were not confident to release it to market. Our checkers are colorimeters that use light to measure ion concentration, and consequently there are many interferences in saltwater sample matrix to allow colorimetric analysis of nitrate. I hope we develop one in the future but we operate in over 10 major industries and our R & D department is quite busy with a wide range of projects. If we do develop one then you will receive notice from our blog and emails so keep checking back in the future if things change.

http://blog.hannainst.com/topic/aquariums

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back