Nitrate

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.2? WOW, thats only in an SPS tank imo. I run 20-30 in mine, been running that number forever.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it was ppm.
240g Softies: LPS
Tangs 14" Vlamingi : 12" Sailfin : 5" Mimic Tang : 4" Yellow Eye : 9" Hippo : Full grown Ruby Scat
300bls Rock
45g Fuge w/Cheato/Halameda
:bigsmile:

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 gallon bow front been setup and cycled since beginning of the year
Hob filter w/ built in surface skimmer
2 powerheads
150 watt heater
Evo 100 watt 14k led fixture

2 Clownfish
2 chromis
1 firefish

Hermits and snails are an estimate too many to count
About 15 hermits
Over 200 dwarf ceriths
8 Florida ceriths
15 nasarius
6 astea
7 nerites

Corals:

Briareum Gargonian
Devils Hand Leather
Duncanopsammia
Candy Cane Coral
Frogspawn
Cabbage Leather (2)
Pulsating Xenia (2)
Kenya Tree
Green Candy Cane
Birdsnest
Blastomussa
Dragons Eye Polyp
Polythoa (2 kinds)
War Coral
Bam Bam Polyps
Prism Favia
Mushrooms (3 or 4 kinds) (est 75 shrooms most on one rock)
Emeralds Eye Chalice
Cyphastrea

I know the light is high but its for a 24" tank and mine is 30"
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1364533420093.jpg
    1364533420093.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I just wish it were drilled. I want a sump extremely bad. Like about a 10 gallon

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines not drilled. I use a CPR overflow with Aqualifter.

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just afraid of something going wrong with a overflow box. I have heard horror stories of flooding and what not

stlcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just afraid of something going wrong with a overflow box. I have heard horror stories of flooding and what not

A sump makes a world of difference. I tried sump less on my 33 and it was a struggle. As soon as I went to a sump life became a breeze. My tank is not drilled. I use an eshopps hob overflow and it works like a champ. I have NEVER had an unintended siphon break. Even if it does break. Your sump should be designed to catch the extra dt water until it drops below the overflow line. If a sump ever overflows its because the baffles are too high and it's normal operating water level is too high.

I used to be scared for the same
reason. Just read up on sumps and the concept. It's possible to make them fool proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the siphon stops and the return pump keeps pumping won't that overfill the display tank causing it to overflow? I guess I just don't understand the while concept... I mean I do it siphons out of the display into the overflow and then goes to sump then pumps back into display correct. Only way I see to keep that from happening is a float switch and a relay to shut the pump off. I keep my water level in the display about 1/2 from the lip so

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy an overflow box that doesn't lose siphon. Most these days have a flood chamber in the rear, so if flow does stop, both front and rear compartments stay submerged and siphon is not lost.
My brother is currently fabricating one with a durso design. Will post video of testing.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All boxes have the possibility of losing siphon, air does get trapped, it just happens. But, you have a powerhead or Aqualifter than sucks the air out of the bend so that the siphon restarts. Trust me, I don't want 240g of SW running all over my living room, these things are pretty reliable nowadays. But the occasiona, overflow just happens, ya gotta check your system on a regular basis. I check mine once a week, and I do this when I turn of the return pump so that I can feed Mysis Shrimp. I make sure the system stops siphoning back into the sump, and then make sure the bpox doesn't lose it sihpon when restarted. If you see a glitch in the system, you'll know it when chekcing it.

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an electrical component that trips when power is lost? That way the return pump only comes back when it's restarted manually? As far a the overflow siphoning then dt water into the sump, once the water level gets lower than overflow that's it. How would the dt empty into the sump?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails over the break holes, I utilize a second breaker hole as a safety. Pump comes back on automatically when power is brought back on.

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but I'm saying, a better fool proof is not having the pump kick back on when power goes out

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went to the lfs. Told them I am dosing code a daily and can't get my calcium over 380. They only carry code a and b and some stuff called thrive. But they sold me seachem advanced calcium powder and said it will do the trick. My kh is 8 and they tested mag and said it was 1250 calcium 380. Also said my Ph is 7.8 it was 8.0 last time I checked it. They sold me seachem marine buffer powder. And also sold me a blue pistol shrimp, he kicks butt

Back