Nitrate

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aerate your tank well and you won't need a buffer.
Premix the powder before you add it to the tank.

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I premix. I've got about 1200 gph flow total in my tank and plenty surface agitation

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

dcfluegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gregory,

In the API nitrate test kit instructions half way down it says take the number you get from the reading and divide it by 4.4 and that's where your nitrates are. You should be at 4.54ppm. :thumbup:

wow - thank you for this info - we have been fighting the nitrate fight as well... granted, part of the battle absolutely has to do with us rushing things with too much bioload too quickly, but we had also added a fuge with chaeto and mangroves as well as a biopellet reactor and while our nitrate numbers had come down, they were still showing in the 40 range with the API test kit... thank you!

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a little concerned here. my kh had went down from 9 to 8 and my calcium was staying 380 my ph was 8.0 but after the hour ride to lfs they said it was 7.8. lfs sold me marine buffer powder and advanced calcium powder by seachem. I dosed the advanced calcium yesterday for the first time with a beginner dose according to directions. Today my kh has jumped to 12 and my calcium is 420. Is this fast of a jump ok? Should I not dose anymore just check once a week and dose? When before or after my weekly water change or in between them?

I had been using reef code a and went thru a whole bottle with no luck. One dose of this and wow.

This is the third day I've dosed marine buffer and my ph is still 8.0 just keep dosing daily till it comes up?

Lfs also checked my magnesium and it was 1250 and they said that was fine

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow - thank you for this info - we have been fighting the nitrate fight as well... granted, part of the battle absolutely has to do with us rushing things with too much bioload too quickly, but we had also added a fuge with chaeto and mangroves as well as a biopellet reactor and while our nitrate numbers had come down, they were still showing in the 40 range with the API test kit... thank you!

don't get too excited. the difference is that api (and severl other kits) are calibrated for the total nitrate ion. but some other kits (fasttest for one) are calibrated to only reflect the nitrogem part fo the nitrate ion (nitrate-nitrogen). So if you api says 40ppm that is actually 40ppm nitrates (total) and ~10ppm nitrate-nitrogen.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't get too excited. the difference is that api (and severl other kits) are calibrated for the total nitrate ion. but some other kits (fasttest for one) are calibrated to only reflect the nitrogem part fo the nitrate ion (nitrate-nitrogen). So if you api says 40ppm that is actually 40ppm nitrates (total) and ~10ppm nitrate-nitrogen.

Yes but when anyone asks you what your nitrate (NO3) is, the number people look for is NO3, not NO3-N. So therefore, a 40ppm on an API test is in fact 40ppm and not divided by 4.4. I'm asking a question, not stating a fact. This is confusing to me as well. I know API, Salifert and Seacham (amongst others, I'm sure) test for NO3 while Red Sea Pro tests NO3-N w/ a conversion that, I guess, many don't use or are too confused to use.

There should be a standard. The people using Red Sea may be getting the lower number when in fact it's higher...???

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a update my nitrates went from 20 to 0 in a week after adding a sump with chaeto. And I haven't done a water change in about 2 weeks and its still a 0. Still a little confused but happy about the change but I have some corals not happy about it which sucks

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas like a little nitrates in the water.

12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softy Corals will get used to it. They've been in high Trate water for a bit, and will get ticked off with less.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back