Nitrates and photosynthetic gorgonians

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I was thinking of keeping some photosynthetic gorgonians in the 10 gallon refugium of my 10 gallon NPS tank. However, non photosynthetic tanks - mine included - tend to have significantly higher nitrates than, say, an SPS tank - mine is ranging from 5 to 10 ppm depending on the time of week (unsure about phosphates because the test comes out at .25 ppm regardless of what system I use it on). How would a photosynthetic gorgonian do under those conditions? Thanks :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see you had another thread this morning. Or is this now "cancelled" given what happened in the thread you posted a few hours later?

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, the refugium is likely going to become a separate tank in its own right. Still...I WOULD like to know what kind of nutrients gorgonians can take, in the event I ever add one to one of my tanks.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, the refugium is likely going to become a separate tank in its own right. Still...I WOULD like to know what kind of nutrients gorgonians can take, in the event I ever add one to one of my tanks.

Well I dont personally have any, but here is a great link I found here on R2R, using the search keywords "gorgonian nutrients". It is for non photosynthetic ones, but the care should be very similar.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/care-of-large-polyp-non-photosynthetic-corals.29838/

This reef builders article might be helpful:

https://reefbuilders.com/2013/01/26/photosynthetic-gorgonians-home-aquaria/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back