Nitrates are sky high in established tank. What should I do?

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, my Red Sea Reefer 350 has been running for around 4 years now and apparently, I am still struggling with high nitrates. Tested again today and saw that the API kit read 160 ppm (dark red). The weird thing is that all my fish are healthy and corals are all growing, so I do not know if I should lower it or just continue my normal routine. I only run a skimmer and gfo 24/7 and have marinepure bio balls throughout my sump. I've been looking at carbon dosing (nopox) and various ATS, but wanted to know if you guys had any recommendations? I know the ATS would be a one time investment, but I did not know if I had to pair Chaetogro dosing alongside it. The nopox seems like a great concept but I worry that it might be too potent and cause other algal issues to arise. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
- TJ

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in a better test kit first. Nyos or Hanna Checker, Especially if everything is growing good. Always double check results before chasing numbers.
Will do, I might get the Nyos kit or Red Sea! Hanna if there's a sale

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160?
Do you do water changes? How many fish? Are you overrun with algae?
Yeah its the max reading on the API kit (which is pretty bad, I should replace the kit anyways). Been doing 30% water changes every 4 weeks. I have 7 fish and no visible algae in the display. Only some hair algae and dragons breath algae in the sump. I definitely need to find more nitrate export methods.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its the max reading on the API kit (which is pretty bad, I should replace the kit anyways). Been doing 30% water changes every 4 weeks. I have 7 fish and no visible algae in the display. Only some hair algae and dragons breath algae in the sump. I definitely need to find more nitrate export methods.
Well if everything is going well maybe it’s just a number. A big number but still just a number lol
I would definitely check with another test kit though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch Melev's Reef Diary around days 15-18 before adjusting your nitrate. A good cautionary tale.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox, vodka or vinegar carbon dosing is a good option if you have a strong skimmer.
Easy to control, takes a few weeks to see results, but then throttle the carbon dose to get the level,you want.

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fix it if it is not broken. What exact symptom of the high reading are you wanting to resolve? Is growth to slow? Coloring an issue?

From personal experience, growing macro algae is not something you want to get too good at. Cheatogro helps, but my gut tells me it doesn't replenish all the trace elements that the algae removes.

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fix it if it is not broken. What exact symptom of the high reading are you wanting to resolve? Is growth to slow? Coloring an issue?

From personal experience, growing macro algae is not something you want to get too good at. Cheatogro helps, but my gut tells me it doesn't replenish all the trace elements that the algae removes.
I have noticed that my gold lobo coral is receding and isn’t looking too happy, was told that it might be due to the high nitrates. Will get a new test kit today and maybe some nopox for light dosing.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your PO4 number? You need Hanna ULR for that. And I really do like the new Hanna HR Nitrate checker.

I ask because it is common to see one stubbornly high nutrient level when you are deficient in the other. The bacteria that naturally process both require some of each to be present.

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your PO4 number? You need Hanna ULR for that. And I really do like the new Hanna HR Nitrate checker.

I ask because it is common to see one stubbornly high nutrient level when you are deficient in the other. The bacteria that naturally process both require some of each to be present.
Just got one today! And a new salifert nitrate kit. Got a reading of 0.14 for phosphates and a little less than 50 ppm for nitrates. Will increase the flow in my tank to hopefully process more water but if that doesn’t reduce anything within the next few weeks, I will consider carbon dosing!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back