Nitrates are through the roof, Need help ASAP

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all of the comments, so if I'm repeating something, my bad.

Dosing NOPOX is good, I Dose it in my 32.5Gallon tank to keep nitrates and phosphates under control. However, if you have feather dusters, they will lose their heads sometimes when dosing, it's well documented but I neglected to check specifically for them >.<

Edit: I am also adding macro algae to the DT so I can hopefully stop Dosing NOPOX in the future.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you’ve said if you have corals, so it might be worth posting a full tank shot so we can see what’s what and any issues your having other than the actual ‘number’

The easiest way to get nutrients down is to do multiple water changes but if you have corals smaller more frequent ones are better so you don’t upset the water parameters

As far as the stocking level, my S650 is slightly bigger (150 I think) and I have probably double the fish you have. But you need to match nutrient export with what your adding into the system

You could try Nopox, but you could also add more marine pure, or personally I use Seachem Matrix and ‘a lot’ of it. In my ‘big house’ I have about 58 litres I think! This will control nitrates once it’s established but you need more than they say in my experience

As far as phosphate take a look at rowaphos but you will need to change it regularly to start out or it won’t work. I run it 24/7 in both my systems and ‘heavy’ to keep phosphate locked down well below 0.03. There is a reason for that low number and potential issues above it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI has 0ppm I’m capable of doing about 40% so I’m going to do that a couple of times this week and test my nitrates at the end of the week.
I may be slightly over stocked:
Zebra Eel
Blonde Naso
Hippo
Yellow Tang
PBrT
8 chromis
Yellow eye Kole
Melanarus Wrasse
Yellow Coris
Mandarin Goby
Royal Gramma
Flasher Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby
120G tank 5FT long not the 4FT version
I'd say way overstocked. I have 8 fish in my 90. Once levels are in order I'd increase the water change schedule you currently use to keep them stable.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you’ve said if you have corals, so it might be worth posting a full tank shot so we can see what’s what and any issues your having other than the actual ‘number’

The easiest way to get nutrients down is to do multiple water changes but if you have corals smaller more frequent ones are better so you don’t upset the water parameters

As far as the stocking level, my S650 is slightly bigger (150 I think) and I have probably double the fish you have. But you need to match nutrient export with what your adding into the system

You could try Nopox, but you could also add more marine pure, or personally I use Seachem Matrix and ‘a lot’ of it. In my ‘big house’ I have about 58 litres I think! This will control nitrates once it’s established but you need more than they say in my experience

As far as phosphate take a look at rowaphos but you will need to change it regularly to start out or it won’t work. I run it 24/7 in both my systems and ‘heavy’ to keep phosphate locked down well below 0.03. There is a reason for that low number and potential issues above it.
I have all LPS, torches, frogspawn, zoas, Xenia are the only coral that seem to be holding up. Lost 2 hammers and one isn’t happy right now. And my candy canes colony which had 10 heads now only has 2 because they keep falling off… I have alot of marine pure in the sump already too

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked nitrites? If you have any nitrites it'll screw up a nitrate test.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back