Nitrates high, zero phosphates - not sure what my next move should be

NielsC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I started up my tank (a little RSM nano) about 8 weeks ago now. I used Real Reef Rock, dead sand and the Reef Mature kit from Red Sea. I'm using the tank with the provided filtersock, two sponges, the original return pump. I updated the skimmer to a Tunze 9001 skimmer and I added an extra pump for flow in the tank, to avoid formation of dead spots. Furthermore, I use an ion exchanger (new) to produce my purified water and Aqua Forest Reef Salt to make my saltwater.

After a while I could measure (in this order) NH3 going up and down NO2 going up and down and NO3 going through the roof (>= 100ppm), so the tank cycled nicely, albeit a little slow.
By preforming some waterchanges I managed to get my nitrates down to 30ppm.

What is bothering me is that there seems to be a huge disconnect between my nitrate and phosphate values. As I mentioned my nitrates are running high, but my phosphates run at zero. I don't have any fish, corals or CUC in my tank.

I'm totally confused as to what my next move should be... Do I add some lifestock to the tank? Feeding and their waste would surely make phosphates go up? Than again, I'm not sure if my high nitrates (30ppm) are the ideal situation to introduce life to the tank.

What would you guys do/suggest? Do I keep doing waterchanges to get nitrates down to approx. 10ppm? Should I add some life and simultaneously do some extra waterchanges? Do I just wait it out and give the tank some more time to develop?

I had the feeling I prepared myself thoroughly for the start-up of my tank, but this is definitely not a scenario I thought about in advance. I feel totally clueless right now and I cannot seem to find a straightforward approach for this problem when reading online.

Thank you very much for your help/advice!

-Niels

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I started up my tank (a little RSM nano) about 8 weeks ago now. I used Real Reef Rock, dead sand and the Reef Mature kit from Red Sea. I'm using the tank with the provided filtersock, two sponges, the original return pump. I updated the skimmer to a Tunze 9001 skimmer and I added an extra pump for flow in the tank, to avoid formation of dead spots. Furthermore, I use an ion exchanger (new) to produce my purified water and Aqua Forest Reef Salt to make my saltwater.

After a while I could measure (in this order) NH3 going up and down NO2 going up and down and NO3 going through the roof (>= 100ppm), so the tank cycled nicely, albeit a little slow.

What is bothering me is that there seems to be a huge disconnect between my nitrate and phosphate values. As I mentioned my nitrates are running high, but my phosphates run at zero. I don't have any fish, corals or CUC in my tank.

I'm totally confused as to what my next move should be... Do I add some lifestock to the tank? Feeding and their waste would surely make phosphates go up? Than again, I'm not sure if my high nitrates (30ppm) are the ideal situation to introduce life to the tank.

What would you guys do/suggest? Do I keep doing waterchanges to get nitrates down to approx. 10ppm? Should I add some life and simultaneously do some extra waterchanges? Do I just wait it out and give the tank some more time to develop?

I had the feeling I prepared myself thoroughly for the start-up of my tank, but this is definitely not a scenario I thought about in advance. I feel totally clueless right now and I cannot seem to find a straightforward approach for this problem when reading online.

-Niels
Is ammonia at 0? If your ammonia is at 0 and nitrites are at 0 within 24 hr period your tank has cycled . If not it hasn’t cycled . If your tank has cycled I would definitely do another water change to get nitrates down and see where your other parameters are at.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

-Niels
If the tank is cycled and the ammonia is zero, I would add a fish. Keep doing 10% weekly water changes. You might have very low levels of phosphate that you can’t read with your test. I would recommend the Hannah ulr phosphorous test. Also, make sure you aren’t using any phosphate removing media like gfo. Good luck.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

-Niels
Good video below.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back