OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tested a few times for phosphates and they are always low. Skimmer is always pulling out brown stinky gunk lol

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you haven't had anything to feed I bet your phosphate levels are quite low. The biggest source of phosphate is usually the food we feed our fish. People really like to blame hair algae on everything but what actually causes it, phosphate. Everything from old light bulbs, sunlight, nitrate, hitchhiker, moon position whatever else can be thought of. Yes nitrate will play a role in having hair algae, but its the phosphate that causes it. The nitrate just helps it grow a little faster.

The previous post is very spot on.... No you won't get hair algae if you keep your phosphate in check.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete is right on!! I forgot to mention the lighting!
But assuming yours are new? If not I'd change them. The smallest bit of phosphate can cause a bloom with wrong or old florescent lighting. Like Pete said sun will do the same if your phosphates are just a little elevated, but if your parameters are good sun light is ok if not better. In most cases sun will contribute to growth of hair algae

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both my tanks get direct sunlight for about 2 hours a day, once in the morning, once in the evening. Whatever comes through the blinds goes right into my tank. Gha.ALWAYS indicates there is too much phosphate, it doesn't matter what a test kit says. The phosphate can be bound by the rock and consumed by the algae therefore getting a false test reading. I worried about a test reading about a year ago. It kept reading .08, so I was using phosphate removing media. This reading refused to get any lower, so I kept using it. The end result was 95% of my acro dying. I checked distilled water and guess what.... .08. I now just read the tank for phosphate. How often am I having to clean the glass? Are there any tiny patches of gha anywhere? This is way better than using a test kit IMO.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both my tanks get direct sunlight for about 2 hours a day, once in the morning, once in the evening. Whatever comes through the blinds goes right into my tank. Gha.ALWAYS indicates there is too much phosphate, it doesn't matter what a test kit says. The phosphate can be bound by the rock and consumed by the algae therefore getting a false test reading. I worried about a test reading about a year ago. It kept reading .08, so I was using phosphate removing media. This reading refused to get any lower, so I kept using it. The end result was 95% of my acro dying. I checked distilled water and guess what.... .08. I now just read the tank for phosphate. How often am I having to clean the glass? Are there any tiny patches of gha anywhere? This is way better than using a test kit IMO.

100% agreed

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulbs I have are the factory stocked flouresent bulbs that came with the hood of the tank. It's nothing special. The tank does receive some sun light throughout the day. The brown film stuff growing on my glass, is that cyano? Brown algae?

Nitrates, I picked up some 5% white distilled vinegar. A gallon of it. I'll probably start dosing the tank. Did I pick up the right stuff?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulbs I have are the factory stocked flouresent bulbs that came with the hood of the tank. It's nothing special. The tank does receive some sun light throughout the day. The brown film stuff growing on my glass, is that cyano? Brown algae?

Nitrates, I picked up some 5% white distilled vinegar. A gallon of it. I'll probably start dosing the tank. Did I pick up the right stuff?

5% is the good stuff lol
What is the k rating on your florescents?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white in color. I don't notice any orange or blueish tint. Well actually, if I look straight at the bulb in the fixture it looks like a very slight tint of purple.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a plant grow bulb. How long is your tank? New lights are on your list for sure!

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 30 gallon long tank. 36" long and 17" high. 12" width. I'll look into some new lights. Do I need to replace the entire hood/light fixture or can I just grab a different bulb? Off to bed. I'll look up info tomorrow.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still how many bulbs go in, 2?
Get a 10k and actinic 420-465nm (39watts each)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still how many bulbs go in, 2?
Get a 10k and actinic 420-465nm (39watts each)
No 10k, no one uses that range anymore. Even if its a 2 lamps unit, they can still get away with an Actinic and a Blue+ or 12-14k lamp

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back