Nitrates troubles- Help with NoPox +\- Dr Tim’s?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I am STRUGGLING to get my tank consistently stable. Trying to get it there with NoPox. I tried gfo but its too hard to tweak. I do water changes every 3 weeks. The NoPox seems to have 0 affect on nitrates but will bottom out the phos. Right now pho is at 0 (Hanna) (not where I want it to be- shooting for stability below .1) and nitrates have remained consistently at 25 as I try and alter the dose to balance the phos. Everything I read seems to tell me that my nitrates need to be like 5 to 10-ish. (delt with a major gha outbreak once and I do not want to go back there!) I can’t seem to get it lower. I was doing water changes every two weeks but it’s a 220 gallon and making 50 gallons every other week takes 10+ hours and then the water change itself takes hours So with my schedule I can’t seem to get it more often than that. I feed the fish twice a day because of the Anthias. I feed a moderate amount both feedings. I tried feeding less but the more aggressive fish start getting nasty and the anthias start diminishing. Will adding in Dr Tims help with nitrates? Other suggestions? (*i can’t do an automatic water change room etc. trying to work with additives to control it instead of adding more mechanical filtration elements as I can’t keep up with the maintenance. I tried an algae scrubber and it had no affect on the levels although it grew tons of algae- it was a pain to deal with in the space I have.) ph is 8.15, alk is between 9 and 10, Ca is around 420, mag like 1450 ish, filtration is 200+# live rock, sand bed, protein skimmer, Uv light.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of bacteria. Waste away should work, but you need the phosphates up to avoid bottoming out and getting dinos. Have you tried different test kits? Nopox can't lower only phosphates which is why I asked.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back