Nitrates vs Feeding : How do you balance it? or do you?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case, Do you believe it’s the reef energy that’s keeping the numbers down?

No I think its the reef energy keeping the nitrate above 0. My tank is pretty packed with corals and my refugium is also on most of the time (it gets an 8 hour break or so for the sake of the light's longevity). I use this and/or vitachem to counter having ultra low nitrates. I believe the food is being used quite readily as I can dose a lot without seeing my nitrates increase

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Residual Nitrates
I really appreciate you mentioning residual nitrates, because this is what we measure with nitrate kits. What is more relevant is the idea of nitrogen flux. How much we introduce to the aquarium, and how much it assimilate / export nitrogen.

I prefer ammonium as a nitrogen source. It's requires less energy from corals to use, it also doesn't produce additional kh when consumed (Vis-a-vis nitrate).

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Residual Nitrates are not a big deal this days my 25g gets 4 cubes a day and and 3ppm of nitrogen daily. In today’s advancements In the hobby I get to be lucky enough to decide at what residual I want my nitrates and phosphates to be stable. Currently I keep them at 10 just because I feel the number gives me enough time to adjust nutrients if it starts to lower.

How do we compare residual nitrates with a basic healthy nitrate level? At what point do we deem nitrate to be residual? Hehe :)

Wait for it….

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate you mentioning residual nitrates, because this is what we measure with nitrate kits.

If I measure a nitrate level of 100 ppm. You consider that residual? :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we compare residual nitrates with a basic healthy nitrate level? At what point do we deem nitrate to be residual? Hehe :)

Wait for it….
I tend to consider nitrates a residual, if they raising or decreasing will only be due to limitations on another nutrient, to me nitrates are pollutants that need to be managed and the main reason they need to be present is to aid the continuous filtration of a aquarium they’re concentration is not important just need to be in range. the nutrients that are important for coral growth and health are different and often not tested, we need nitrogen that is a mix of dissolved organic nutrients to feed coral that produce nitrates waste.
All photosynthetic organisms need nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and silica as macro nutrient. In our systems is not much different we avoid silica as we don’t want to grow diatoms although all the other macro, micro nutrients and minerals are important for organisms to synthesise. Nitrates are often a inorganic nutrient that some organisms can use as a alternative to organic nutrients.
nuisance green algae blooms often occur wend organic nutrients become readily available and often in young systems that don’t have the maturity to deal with dissolved organic nutrients. In my view is much harder to control and maintain dissolved organics in comparison to dissolved inorganic nutrients

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate you mentioning residual nitrates, because this is what we measure with nitrate kits. What is more relevant is the idea of nitrogen flux. How much we introduce to the aquarium, and how much it assimilate / export nitrogen.

I prefer ammonium as a nitrogen source. It's requires less energy from corals to use, it also doesn't produce additional kh when consumed (Vis-a-vis nitrate).
I use a a diversity of organics, aminos, lipids, vitamins etc..

JahStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nitrates last night with the Hanna Nitrate HR checker. My nitrates have been 49.7 for so long now. Two years the tank has been running. I feed heavy twice a day. I am dosing vodka now for last two weeks. I'm dosing 5 ML a day. I have not seen any change and will probably not for awhile. I was using GFO but stopped since I started vodka dosing. Since there has to be phosphates to lower the nitrates, I believe. Really hope this vodka helps. I hope to see some change by Christmas, Everyone have a good day.

Markdickenschwanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown, 4 baby pajamas, 3 chromis, 1 yellow wrasse, male & female bimaculatus anthias. 2 mini cubes of frozen once a day. Nitrates consistently in the high 60's. Not a clue where the nitrates are coming from. Phosphates compared to nitrates are super low. 0.00-0.06 only time i get nitrates to drop is when I dose phosphate

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown, 4 baby pajamas, 3 chromis, 1 yellow wrasse, male & female bimaculatus anthias. 2 mini cubes of frozen once a day. Nitrates consistently in the high 60's. Not a clue where the nitrates are coming from. Phosphates compared to nitrates are super low. 0.00-0.06 only time i get nitrates to drop is when I dose phosphate
Your observation is correct, heterotrophic bacteria will assimilate nitrates as it multiply and remove those nutrients via skimming. As every organism in our systems need phosphates for tissue building in systems that are depleted from phosphates heterotrophic bacteria becomes limited for growth by the phosphate.
increasing phosphates will allow for nitrates to be assimilated by more bacteria as long as dissolved organic carbon is also present. Carbon is also a limiting factor for bacteria to multiply in a salt water aquarium.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I measure a nitrate level of 100 ppm. You consider that residual? :)
Yes. Let me explain.

If an aquarium has a stable nitrate level of 100 ppm. While we have a highly eutrophic enviroment, the net nitrate flux is actually zero. Whatever nitrate introduced is the same as the nitrate assimilated or exported. No more, no less.

So if this aquarium runs into problems, it's a problem with eutrophication (a problem of state) and not a problem of input/export balance (a problem of dynamics).

That's why I feel the trend of nitrate values is more telling than, say a point measurement.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the reason I use the aminos. Its basically dosing nitrogen in the tank in a form that I think is preferable to the corals (compared to nitrate)
Do aminos add phosphate as well? I feed like crazy and barely keep my nitrate above 1 ppm without dosing neonitro.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do aminos add phosphate as well? I feed like crazy and barely keep my nitrate above 1 ppm without dosing neonitro.
Most amino acid blends contain carbohydrates, this will lower nutrients. They should be looked as a source of nitrogen and dissolved organic carbon.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nitrates last night with the Hanna Nitrate HR checker. My nitrates have been 49.7 for so long now. Two years the tank has been running. I feed heavy twice a day. I am dosing vodka now for last two weeks. I'm dosing 5 ML a day. I have not seen any change and will probably not for awhile. I was using GFO but stopped since I started vodka dosing. Since there has to be phosphates to lower the nitrates, I believe. Really hope this vodka helps. I hope to see some change by Christmas, Everyone have a good day.

Rock and Sand can bind PO4 and leech it for several months, but nitrate is a little different. I see a lot of tanks with high nitrates due to over feeding for several months or years. Excess food can get locked up in the rocks and sand. Sometimes it’s better to remove the sandbed and get the right critters to eat all the waste in the rocks while at the same time dosing Waste Away or MB Clean. Carbon dosing will definitely help. It could be a slow process. Best of luck.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited an 2017 post here this morning on feeding your fish. It was interesting and all over the place. I’m sure no fish “starved” in the making of that post, lol, but I was curious about these reefers No3 levels.

1. What is your consistent nitrate number.
2. And what, how much and how frequently do you feed your fish?
B089E84A-6B4B-40A7-BC9E-39166D7819C0.jpeg
90 gal sytem
3 frozen cubs a day, 1/4sheet of Nori and 2 eheim autofeeds.
Skimmer running dry.

and 10ml MB7 a week.

every week Nitrate drops to 1.5, phosphate at 0.05

I dose 30 ml of Conrinuum ULNS nitrate each week ro boost Nitate back up to 5ppm.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I think its the reef energy keeping the nitrate above 0. My tank is pretty packed with corals and my refugium is also on most of the time (it gets an 8 hour break or so for the sake of the light's longevity). I use this and/or vitachem to counter having ultra low nitrates. I believe the food is being used quite readily as I can dose a lot without seeing my nitrates increase
Got it, was unfamiliar with the product. Thanks

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates jumped as well. I’m going to test it by cutting their food to half.
If you do that maybe you should also cut your fish in half. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I rarely test nitrates and If I remember I was a young man the last time I did that but they were about 60 a few years ago. Now I think they are around 20 but I am guessing and for the sake of this thread, I will test them......But not today. It will take me a few days to find the kit and see how long ago it expired.

I also don't feed cubes so I don't know how to measure that. I feed some white worms and clams with a "piece" of LRS food. Sometimes I forget to feed them and sometimes I feed them twice.

Most of my fish are not speaking to me so I am not sure how they feel. :anguished-face:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back